New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dicks sporting goods has stealth digital cams on sale for $149.00 and regular stealth cams on sale for $59.00 & $69.00. Anyone ever use these cameras and if so are they any good?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
They are not bad for the price.I reccomend using them over baits or scrapes where the deer is gonna stop in front of the camera.Ive had a lot of partial or missed shots over runs and that can drive you nuts.The photo quality is not bad though.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I can save you the trouble from clicking Jims link . YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !!!!! [down][down]

It says $150 for a digital add another $100 to $125 and you will get pictures like I post from a unit you built . [up]

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$225.00 more is a lot of money,thats what I'm trying to avoid,spending that much money. I used to have a deer cam( until someone figured that they needed it more than I did) and it took great pics for a film camera, I may just stick to the film type.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Not $225 more . $250 total . No one siad this was a cheap sport we love . If , an extra $100 or so dollars is going to brake the bank just wait and save for it . In the end you will be so mch more happier .

What kind of locking systen did your cam have that someone stole ? I use the Python lock with eye bolts that are rated for 90,000 PSI .I can not think of any cam in the store that will match that locking system .

I will put my day / night pictures against ANY pictures from any store bought cam . I put this bet up on another forum that said home built cameras were not as good or were a waist of money . After posting a couple pictures I had no takers on the bet .

Save your money , buy the parts , build your own and get what you want ! You get what you pay for .

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry Double lunger I misread the pricing. Do you have a site that explains how to build a camera?

·
Registered
550 Posts
i use the cheap stealth cams..In my opinion for the money you cant go wrong with it..I am using 8 of them right now and i always get good pictures..You can spend hundreds of dollars on a camera but you gotta remember there are alot of people out there that would take your camera off the tree in a minute..I got 3 stolen last year, and it doesnt make you as mad when the camera only cost 60.00 dollars..

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
DBuck , Just click on the Link JerseyJim posted above .

I keep reading you guys have had cams stolen . From what I remember the Stealth just has a strap and no way to lock it . I sure hope you guys are not just putting your cams out with out locking them . Thats asking for it to be stolen . If any one is interested I can tell you a way to to lock them down to a tree .

Another thing is " FOR THE MONEY " . If you stop to think the $250 unit I am talking about above will save you a bunch of money .

You are talking a $190 difference from top of the line to bottom . You will never have to ,
Buy film
Drop film off to the one hour photo ( come on no one can wait and you pay the extra )
Gas to pick up and drop off film
Batteries
So , you should just about make that $190 back in one year in savings .

Remember the best lock for a deer / trail camera is where you place it . Try your best not to place it in view where the SOB can see it . We own a campground and I have everyone of my cams out . Have never lost one yet and have a ton of pictures of campers .

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
ive had great luck with the cheapo stealth for a couple years now. i only go through a couple rolls a year and ebay usually has film cheap(400 speed).who doesnt visit k-mart or walmart once a week anyway so gas isint an issue if you going there anyway. processing at the wallymart is like 7$ or less and thats with double prints(i always get doubles just in case my brother or buddy wants a copy of a monster). thats not much more than 35$ dollars a year for myself. i paid like 59$ for the cameras and i think its going on 4 0r 5 seasons so its been fun and cheap for me. if i did set the cameras up year round then it would be a no brainer to get a digital as far as saving money on film.just like stands get stolen cameras are subject too but i dont let that stop me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts