New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
N.J.S. 2C:39-6(g) states:

"All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances."
Interestingly, the statute does not mention anything about ammo storage. Yet, njguns.com offers this recommendation:

So keep your firearm unloaded and in a securely tied package and store the ammo separately (i.e.: firearms in a tied box stored in a locked trunk, and ammo in the back seat stored in a closed ammo box).
Just trying to understand the idea there - the theory is that it is more difficult to use your weapons if the ammo is in the back seat?

The only reason I ask is - I would really rather not have anything at all in plain sight - obviously, I would keep the ammo separate, but in a separate locked box in the trunk, rather than in any kind of container in the passenger cabin.

Is there any actual statutory requirement to have the ammo in the passenger compartment? Or is this something LE/prosecutor(s)/Atty General/courts have interpreted as being necessary?

Comments/etc. appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
If you have a trunk then you will be best off storing your cased firearm and ammo in the trunk. Keep them seperated but in the trunk.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I should have made that clearer. I have a typical-layout sedan-type automobile with a completely separate trunk. Perhaps njguns.com's recommendation is oriented more towards hunters, where the person is possibly more likely to be using a pickup or an SUV.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Do they think that this going to stop gun crime? Is someone really going to not shoot someone because it was too much of a hassel to get the gun out of the case, and load it.
I can hear the bandits discussion now. "We can't rob the 7-11 because its against the law to carry a loaded gun in the car!" "Damn Homey,I ain breakin the law by carrying an uncased gun!" "I guess we jus gonna half to get us a job!" "Ya dem dummycrats sure messed us up!"

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Do they think that this going to stop gun crime?
Its called feel good legislation... it serves no real purpose but allows legislators to look like they are doing their job becuase it makes the non-gun owning masses feel good.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
new york has similar laws they have been in effect for decades I think they were meant to prevent poaching originally
Im not buying that... you may be right but if that is really the justification, then why can you have a firearm uncased in neighboring states? I think its another liberal attack.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts