New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Most people agree, you don't want bears in areas like Hudson County, Union County and Middlesex County -- all urban areas with no real habitat for bears," said Len Wolgast, a wildlife biology professor and member of the Fish and Game Council.
We PAY a genius like this???

B

·
0 Posts
I agree with jerseyjim 100%, the hunt should take place in the 1st week of September, sows with cubs, and cubs should be left alone

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
That's hard to do. What happens when someone shoots a sow but doesn't see the cubs a few yards behind her. It's easier said than done.

B

·
0 Posts
Like I said sows without cubs, but if it turns out you harvest a sow, and the cubs are out of sight, OH WELL !!!!! Thats how they do it in New Brunswick, Canada

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
That's hard to do. What happens when someone shoots a sow but doesn't see the cubs a few yards behind her. It's easier said than done.
In NJ it doesn't matter. By the time the season rolls around the cubs can make it on their own. Plus, it's nearly impossible to tell a large male cub from the mother because he might actually be larger than her.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
No, we don't. F&G Council is voluntary. BTW, Dr. Walgast is, in fact, a genius.
If a genius is a guy who figures out you can't have bears in Hoboken, what is your definition of an idiot? :D

(um...wait..I know..Bradley Campbell!)

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
If a genius is a guy who figures out you can't have bears in Hoboken, what is your definition of an idiot?
You need to remember that this reporter only took a piece of the quote. He probably had 200 more words that didn't make the paper.

Walgast is one of the authors of the "bear policy" that Campbell needs to sign off on.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
This is a very interesting read.

On one hand, I can see why the South Jersians dont want bears, but on the other hand, there is GREAT habitat for them down there.

So how do we keep the bears out of S. Jersey and keep the majority happy? I think its impossible.

Im beginning to see that people are the problem.

They want to leave the bears alone, not hunting them, just letting "nature take its course". BUT they also dont want ANY bears by where they live! How can you have both? You CAN'T!!!!!

I say if we have bear free zones, we should also have "moron free zones". They dont want bears encroaching into small woodlots, but they dont want us to hunt them. We are supposed to foot the bill to drive bears back to the closest bear area? Rediculous, so I dont want morons encroaching on our woodlands, they should stay in the cities where they belong. Dont come to visit the woods, dont look at the birds or deer, leave it all alone. Or we will be forced to tranquilize you and drop you off in the nearest city.[mad]

Sorry for ranting, but I cant take these people that want it both ways! "Dont allow any bears by me, but dont harm any of them either!"[mad]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts