New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up the hunters education course and i have never hunted before. I live in the sussex county area and will do most of if not all of my hunting here where do i start shotgun/bow/muzzleloader? what are good starter items? any info would be helpful thanks guys.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The best sugestion I can give you is a Mentor. As you can get so much information from this site and all the guys will be glad to help you. A Mentor in hunting is better than any book you will ever read. Find a older hunter that knows the area that you will hunt. Let him show you first had the ropes of a great American past time. Always remember that hunting is not always about the kill it is sbout the time that you get to spend with friends , family and the great outdoors.
good luck

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
Njwhitetail has spoken wisdom since I would have never learned all the great hunting skills I have without my mentors. I would also advise you to study and take all three displines so this way you have the saftey course under your belt and can branch out from there. You will learn a lot on how to handle the weapons, ethics and have a great chance to meet other hunters at the courses and perhaps even find a mentor while going through the classes if you don't already have one.

Good Luck and welcome to our family[up][up][up]

Shoot Straight!

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I would also advise you to study and take all three displines so this way you have the saftey course under your belt and can branch out from there.
Agree,take all the courses. Good luck,but one word of warning, It quickly becomes an addiction :)

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
hahah maximus has it right im 16 and cant wait till i drive so i can go out atleast 3-4 days a week hahaha. As stated take all 3 of the test. Shotgun test is just safety just showing safe gun handling rifle you shoot a .22 and load and shoot a muzzleloader it doesnt matter where your shots go just safety. Bow is a little stricter you need to put 3 out of 5 arrows in the vitals of a deer from 10-20 yards just practice youll be fine. Any questions you have be sure to post everyone on here knows more than a hunting encyclopedia and will be able to help[up]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys i i know how to handle and shoot a weapons as i am in law enforcement. as for archery i dont even know where to begin i mean we shoot a hand gun and with minimal amount of shot gun what kinds of starter bows muzzle or shotgun should i be looking for

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
i i know how to handle and shoot a weapons as i am in law enforcement.
That's excellent if the deer is attacking you or speeding. ;)

Just kidding. You may want to focus on one method for now. For deer, Shotgun is pretty much the easiest to master in NJ but muzzleloader give more opportunity. Bow is the most challenging but I find most gratifying.

Have fun. Welcome!

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
starter bows muzzle or shotgun should i be looking for
Are you a Traditionalist at heart? By that I mean would you prefer a recurve or longbow as compared to a compound bow/gadgets. Flintlock or Caplock Muzzleloader as compared to an In-Line?

Are you seeking more than just “hunting game”? By that I mean are you into History at all? Does how you hunt factor in?

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Try some small game also rabbit, crow, pheasant. It will keep you interested and dosen't take up alot of your time. Also plenty of state land and WMA to hunt on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.