New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a walk today thru the crossley preserve. Walked up on two stands no more than 30 yards off the sand road..why hunt so close?! Then wonder why your stand was stolen.. I walked down one path, had to be a couple hundred yards in and it kept going..know there has to be a stand in there, flagged too well.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Years back I shot a big 8pt about 35yards off rt. 80 if you can handle the noise (trust me it gets to you) their are deer right there. If they weren't you would never see on get hit

·
Registered
750 Posts
Where do guys always see deer? On the sides of the road while their driving ...that is why I have one stand 75yds of a main road and another probably around 100yds and I have some nice bucks at these stands too

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
O5r1- Years ago when I first started I don't think 80 wasn't even fully completed. You used to be able to pull any where off the road and hunt. Rabbits, wild pheasant and deer. Times were good then. And also the Grouse population was a not a rare sight but scary as hell when they flushed.

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
Lol.. Stands not deep in woods aren't hunting...

BS!! I have a stand that's 40-50 yards off a road and it's absolutely hunting. It's not like deer only live a half mile in. in fact they like running fence lines, which end at roads. perfect HUNTING location. I shot 5 deer outta that stand this season.

·
Registered
17,901 Posts
Lol = laughing out loud..

i was laughing @ the comment that stands along roads are not hunting.
I do not believe this. I have a stand 70 yards off a road & love listening to the trucks drive by before I shoot.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I always wondered why some guys think you have to go in a half mile to have a good spot. I'm sure there are some good bucks way back in the woods but, you don't HAVE TO go that far in. Plenty of good deer hunting closer to a road. Hell there's probably bigger bucks in peoples back yards than deep in the woods. To each there own. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Depends on location. Some stands can be awesome 10 yards off the road. I have a stand in a pinch point near and old apple orchard that is about 50 yards off the road and I have killed over a dozen deer out of it. Granted it's a dirt road in the middle of no where but a road none the less.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I ride a bicycle a lot and being a real quiet and pretty fast on country roads, I constantly run up against deer bedded down or standing right next to the road. I think they tring to get even for my harvests and kill me jumping out on me. Anyways. I always wondered why so many deer near the road but I see it all the time.....mostly just the Does like the road. Few bucks unless the rut and then all bets off.

Almost like they know they are safer there.....the "real" hunters being deep in the woods the deer are just laughing at us. During 6 day I saw this one large hurd just down the road from the orange army. Saw it every day. Coming back from hunting myself just after legal shooting, the deer hurd steps out onto the road just behind my truck and just in front of the four hunting club trucks leaving the property. The trucks stopped and I bet they were scratching there heads thinking where did they come from......they were there all week long.....ten feet from the road

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.