New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys make your own stretchers? If not where do you get them. I need one for Fox and one for Coyote. I don't trap these are for Predator Season.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Do you guys make your own stretchers? If not where do you get them. I need one for Fox and one for Coyote. I don't trap these are for Predator Season.
I use to make them when I trapped, but fur paid back then. They aren't hard to make out of plywood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Making them out of plywood is NOT a good idea.
You can get specs to make your own from http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/uploads/NAFA_PeltHandlingManual_2012-02.pdf
Searching trapperman.com might also get you some more information.
Basically I just take some pine (basswood is better), send through the planer to 1/2", draw out one board to perfection, cut it on the bandsaw or jigsaw, and round the edges with sander. Then you can use this one as a template to make a few.
You can buy them online from trapper supply stores. The Snare Shop, F&T, PCS Outdoors
Better yet, go to the trapper convention. It is held at Space Farms on October 2. There are dealers there to buy from. And you can support the NJ trappers association.
New Jersey Trappers Association ? Trapping in New Jersey, join us.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Making them out of plywood is NOT a good idea.
You can get specs to make your own from http://www.nafa.ca/wp-content/uploads/NAFA_PeltHandlingManual_2012-02.pdf
Searching trapperman.com might also get you some more information.
Basically I just take some pine (basswood is better), send through the planer to 1/2", draw out one board to perfection, cut it on the bandsaw or jigsaw, and round the edges with sander. Then you can use this one as a template to make a few.
You can buy them online from trapper supply stores. The Snare Shop, F&T, PCS Outdoors
Better yet, go to the trapper convention. It is held at Space Farms on October 2. There are dealers there to buy from. And you can support the NJ trappers association.
New Jersey Trappers Association ? Trapping in New Jersey, join us.
Too much work. Buy the metal ones. One of each size should do for what you are looking for. Much easier to store off season as well

·
Registered
18 Posts
Furs stretched on wood are better than those stretched on wire. Every single fur big buyer out there will agree.
And if he is going to buy them, its the same amount of work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Whatever man, go to page 8 of the NAFA manual I posted above and read it for yourself. Its personal preference.
My furs however, will always be stretched on wood.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Few wire stretchers won't break the bank Google trapping supply and you can shop the best price I keep 2 in each size to do what I get

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Whatever man, go to page 8 of the NAFA manual I posted above and read it for yourself. Its personal preference.
My furs however, will always be stretched on wood.
Your choice but it means nothing to buyers. I know NAFA very well and most of my furs were graded by them as Select I's, II's, and Select *, including some Top Lots. All done on wire, so your statement is nonsense and helps no one here trying to learn something.

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks fellas. Looks like I need a couple #6's for fox and #8 if I get a Coyote. Or will a #6 do for a Coyote? They are pretty cheap and the only difference I see in wire or wood is you can use pins in the wood.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Thanks fellas. Looks like I need a couple #6's for fox and #8 if I get a Coyote. Or will a #6 do for a Coyote? They are pretty cheap and the only difference I see in wire or wood is you can use pins in the wood.
Get the #8 if you plan on getting a yodel dog on one. Fox wire would be too small

·
Registered
140 Posts
Where are you located? I can loan you a wood and a wire one to see what you prefer. If used properly you can put up nice fur with either type. PM me if interested

·
Registered
72 Posts
wood looks nicer and you cant overstretch as easily as with wire, I might be switching to wood for coon this year, you can make them more uniform and you have less chance of anything ripping like the tail. trust me get wood theres a lot of other guys that will tell you the same

1 - 14 of 14 Posts