New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the wife decided she wanted to see some pretty birds in our yard and we put out a free sanding bird feeder with some seed, the problem is, that the squirrels have pretty much laid claim to it.... any suggestions on how to deal with them? I guess going out there with a pellet gun is a no-no right? lol We live in hopatcong The bird feeder has a 4' circumference base that has flowers planted in it (These get torn up daily as well), there is a 4"x4" post coming out of the base and the feeder sits on top of that.....

·
Registered
159 Posts
I use my red rider bb gun to shot them. All it does is bounce off them and stings them a bit. But it really hasnt solved the problem. They still keep coming back everyday(really stuburn animals). My suggestion is set out one of those cage traps on the ground and catch them. Then drive somewhere and release them.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Had a similar problem years ago...and cured it completely by accident...put D-Con rat/mouse poison by my wood pile to keep down the'other' rodent population...looked out one day...and a squirrel was turning the box upside down and shaking it to get more out of it...miraculously, the squirrel problem disappeared....

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Yeah, either grease the pole with some grease or heavy silicon spray that's water resistent. Or, you could fabricate a shield or funnel to prevent the squirrels from climbing the pole. Just make sure the feeder is far enough away that squirrels cannot jump from a nearby bush or tree. Those tree rats can really leap and can think of a number of ways to outsmart you!

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Or, you could fabricate a shield or funnel to prevent the squirrels from climbing the pole. Just make sure the feeder is far enough away that squirrels cannot jump from a nearby bush or tree. Those tree rats can really leap and can think of a number of ways to outsmart you!
I was going to say the same thing, I've seen people take old metal trash can lids and put them on the pole to keep them from getting up the pole, works great as long as there's no trees nearby where they can jump from. Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
squirrel are a legal small game when the season is open, and make a very challenging target with a bow. i've taken great pride in liberating my bird feeders from squirrel occupation using blunt/judo points on many occasions.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
I would whackem with the bb gun personally. Couple other options though. Put the funnel like when you dog gets stitches at the vet around the post, theyll never get through that. Also I have a squirrel proof feeder that has a cover over the whole feeder with a spring system. The birds can eat from it but when the squirrel puts his weight on it it seals the holes where the seed is. Very effective. Goodluck[up]

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Cage and Peanut butter will catch them for release into Parks but youll never keep up with them. There are just too many.

Though grease on the pole sounds entertaining

·
Registered
747 Posts
Our bird feeder is right near the kitchen window, so they just jump from the house to it, greasing the pole is useless. So, we got one of those spring loaded bird feeders, and it works. Adjustable tension. The squirrels don't even try anymore.

BTW, its not legal to relocate critters on public land. But, I won't tell. [spy]:)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys..... Whle "greasing the pole" sounds like an entertaining and enjoyable propositon, there is a fence relatvely close and trees all over the place so I don't think it will be effective. Same goes for the funnels.... too many additional ways to get to the seed.

I've researched a few options available and there is something you can mix in with the seed that is harmless to everything but the squirrels don't like it, it's called squirrel away... anyone ever heard of it?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Fill a garbage can half way up with water,Put a small bowl of bird seed in the water so it floats around. When a tree rat tries to eat the food ...it tips over and the squirrel takes its last swim.
No more tree rats,trust me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.