New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 30+ years of hunting deer in NJ I witnessed for the first time a squirrel fell from a tree from about 20' up and all you heard was a thump then it climbed back up. It wasn't jumping just fell off a branch

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Old lady found out he was pounding fur elsewhere and kicked his tail outta the nest. Damn fermented pumpkins were to blame. If he was sober, he'd have felt it. I'm sure he climbed back up and set the bitch straight![drinking]

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I was sitting on my porch about two years ago and saw the same thing. Squirrel fell about 40 feet, bounced off the ground and got up and went right back up the tree like nothing happened. Crazy stuff, tough critters.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I saw this happen last year with a different result....First time I ever saw it also. A squirrel fell maybe 30 feet or so and hit the ground hard about 30 yards to the left of the tree I was in. He was hurt. He sort of dragged himself with his front legs to the base of the tree and just layed there on the ground. Maybe 15-20 minutes goes by and I kept looking over to see if he had moved....Not at all. Suddenly a housecat comes walking through and sees him. Immediately pounces on him, grabbed him by the neck and walked off with him!! It was amazing. I guess he was hurt so badly that he couldn't really move and bacme prey for the cat. Incidentally - This particular spot I hunt in Somerset is fairly good sized woods, not a tiny patch. I almost always see different feral cats running around there. Sometimes 3 or 4 at a time. Anyone else see this?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
**meant to say "became" prey.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a tree service,I have seen these guys fall 40-50 feet and hit the ground running.They also make good pets and tasty too.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I have seen this a few times before.

The strangest drop was when three squirrels were chasing each other, when the first one jumped to the other power wire, the second followed, and all 3 lite up like a Christmas tree. They didn't bounce up from that one.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
I've seen it a few times and normally they get right up and run up the tree again.

A few years ago I saw one fall from a tree as a hawk swooped in for it but wasn't so lucky because he landed on a rock and went splat! Food chain...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Only after I hit em with my Crosman [hihi]

I've been watching for this tough, was starting to think they never fall. Cool story thanks for sharing [up]

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I've seen it once the Sam thing was high too prob 45-50 feet it bounced off the ground Layed there thought it was dead but shook it off and climbed right back up the tree

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I've seen them fall on a number of occasions as well. From way up sometimes too, like 40-50ft. I can only think of one that I saw fall and become so severely injured it was suffering. When I saw how bad it was hurt I put it out of its misery.

How they can get up after a fall like that is beyond me. I fall on the couch some days and can't get back up. LOL

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I saw it once years ago while hunting, and once in my backyard. The one in my backyard bounced off the garage roof first then hit the ground.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I haven't seen one fall by itself but I watched a hawk swoop at one and miss it. The squirrel fell about 40' thumped the ground and ran off to another tree and started barking. Well he gave himself away and the hawk came back and didn't miss that time...it was awesome[up]

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I am offended by this post. Obviously none of you have squirrels as pets.
Only kidding. This is some funny stuff. Never thought squirrel bashing could be so much fun. After the cooter comment, which did not offend me (and I have daughters) I am glad to see evryone lightening up a bit. Great posts. Merry christmas everyone.

·
Registered
8,037 Posts
Broadhead26 I see I have some competion here huh?
I use a daystate air ranger .22 for them. I have a crossman but for serious squirrel wacking it is the daystate!
I have shot them with a 410 shotgun and had them bounce off the ground and run! I am talking 30 -40 feet high they are friggin super men! I always said if you figure thier size we would have to fall out of a 150 ft tree to equal that feat. doubt it.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Seen that before myself. Pretty neat they can fall so far and be fine. But just like anything or anyone if you land the wrong way you won't be going far.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
When I was growing up, my parents had a large red maple in front of the house that would attract squirrels when the seeds formed. It was about 50 feet tall and had no other trees by it, so for fun I would climb it and chase the squirrels to the top of the tree where, having no place else to go, they would jump out and land on the driveway with a loud thump and run off. I was always amazed that they landed unhurt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts