New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its way early to be talking about spring turkey 2006, but anyone have any good ways to learn how to call properly? A down to earth video? Book?

I tried last year and had no success and I know theres turkeys by my property, I've seen them in daylight by the side of the road.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a video one time about diaphram calling, didnt show you one thing about calling, was basically people showing their hunts.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I taught myself by listening to turkey sounds on the computer, and imitating them with the diaphram calls and slates. Then I wrote down all the different calls, what they meant, and how I produced them with the different calls. I carried that around with me for the first season.

I dont know if Im a great caller, but Ive really started to call in quite a few birds over the past few years, thanks to some audio clips I found on the internet.[up] If I can find the links I used, I will post them for you.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Quaker Boy has a good audio tape.Just try and learn the basic calls,nothing fancy.
A good woodsman who is only an average caller at best will consistently kill more birds than a super caller with only limited woodsmanship skills.
Turkey hunting is all about making the right decisions,on the go,patience,and solid preseason and inseason scouting.
It's all in the setup!!!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turkey hunting is all about making the right decisions,on the go,patience,and solid preseason and inseason scouting.
It's all in the setup!!!
Thats what I need to learn!!! I walked all over manchester WMA, colliers mills and some private land last season in february, couldnt find a sign, tried again in march, nothing.

Turkey season ends, Huge flocks sitting across the street from the private land on the side of the road, go figure that out.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
It can be tough...Statewide,the average success ratio for spring gobbler is 16-18%
How close should I get to the roost? Do I call? If so,how much? Should I call louder and more aggressive? Should I call more or just shut up? He answered,Do I keep calling? I see him,should I keep calling if he's getting closer? What if he hangs up,just out of range-now what? How long should I stay put? Should I get up and make a move?[confused]

Each situation is different and each bird reacts differently.That's why it's so challenging and rewarding when everything comes together.
Experience is the best teacher.I'll try and help you out next spring if I can...

·
Registered
260 Posts
I REALLY GOOD TAPE IS HUNTER SPECIALTIES "SO YOU WANT TO BE A TURKEY HUNTER". IT GOES OVER ALL THE BASICS INCLUDING HUNTING TACTICS AND GEAR. KEEP IT SIMPLE WHEN YOU START. A BOX CALL AND A SLATE CALL ARE NOT HARD TO LEARN. THE BIGGEST THING IS SCOUT, SCOUT, SCOUT. IF YOU CAN PATTERN THE BIRDS YOU WILL DO ALOT BETTER.

JOE
NWTF,DU,DELTA,NRA,UBNJ,RMEF

·
Registered
260 Posts
A REALLY GOOD TAPE IS HUNTER SPECIALTIES "SO YOU WANT TO BE A TURKEY HUNTER". IT GOES OVER ALL THE BASICS INCLUDING HUNTING TACTICS AND GEAR. KEEP IT SIMPLE WHEN YOU START. A BOX CALL AND A SLATE CALL ARE NOT HARD TO LEARN. THE BIGGEST THING IS SCOUT, SCOUT, SCOUT. IF YOU CAN PATTERN THE BIRDS YOU WILL DO ALOT BETTER.

JOE
NWTF,DU,DELTA,NRA,UBNJ,RMEF

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have asked for a combo box/slate from close-calls.com. I'll be practicing. Found some good pictures of turkey on the web, and I'm planning on practicing on these from different distances and shot sizes to see how my gun patterns. Any advice on pellet size, etc. welcome.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
I have asked for a combo box/slate from close-calls.com
I have 2 box calls by Ron Clough,great calls from a great callmaker!!
Re: Shot sizes.Go on the NWTF website,msg board under shotgun section.These are the guys that really know their stuff.I normally use #6 Hevishot or the new Win Extended Range.I use custom Nitro Hevishot out of my big gun.Check out Nitro's website,incredible loads! http://www.nitrocompany.com

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
quaker boy has a great tape dick kirby shows you basics calls, what they mean how to reproduce them and when to use them. Halley caller has a great tape called hunting procedure and calling techniques for AMERICA'S WILD TURKEY...[up]

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
I learned by take'in my calls slate, mouth and box calls over to the local zoo. and practiced on thier wild turkeys. seem a bit wierd but it worked that tom will let you know if you say anyting wrong. if you do it right he'll gobble his head off!! best of all? you have a captive audiance:D;)

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the zoo allowed you to do that? The one down by me is owned and operated by the humane society and I'm sure they'd throw me in the lions cages if they knew I was practicing hunting calls on their animals.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
drome Try and find someone to take you out preseason. Practice on one or two mornings but not in the spot you are planning on hunting. I have heard the some of the worst calling come from real hens.

If you were lived closer I would take you out and show you some basics and some tricks.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts