New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any bait for deer in the spring and summer? I do. I do it so I can start to see what the herd is like and to see how many fawns there are in that year. It also helps me figure out how many does I want to try and take out of the herd. make a buck shot a doe, and leave the little ones to grow. I also make small food plots maybe about 20' by 20' is the smallest size, I put it in an opening in the woods so the deer feed in safty.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
I feed my backyard deer all year. It's nice to always keep an eye on them. Had a half rack 8 eating last night..

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I drop a little corn in front of each deer cam I have out . I used to keep a tripod feeder out back all winter long right up till we opend back up in April . This year hardly any deer came in our field . We were lucky to see one or two . Last year you could count 20 in any givin afternoon . I took it down early this year .

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dragthor
Administrator

I think you can techinically get in trouble for baiting deer without the intention of shooting them.
If this is so I haven't read it anywhere. I may be wrong. But I can't help it if my bird feed falls on the ground in a big pile or two.[smirk]

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Man there are alot of rules in this free country!LMAO I do it for research only. They love purina deer chow with a little corn. It doesn't hold up well with the wet weather. I made 4" pvc pipe feeder 5' long with a v-nothched out of the bottom so it can flow out. Watched a nice 10pt. feed off it. That answer my question if a rack would hit the feeder or not. There muzzle is even or in front of their antlers when feeding on level ground.

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
good way to get sheds..Late season set up a rope netting over your bait pile so the horns get tangled up in them you'll have sheds in no time

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have never baited, but I think I will try it this coming season. How soon should you bait before the season startsand,is it legal on all state land? Any info will be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
In Pa i bait all the way up til the week before bow season, i have a tripod feeder, and i put out salt blocks around the area as well

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GreenPepper, No you can't bait on any State Land. On privit land only with the owners OK.. You can start anytime.. I start about a month or so. This way I can start getting them to come to me for food. 50yards from my stand is a watering hole ( Spring ) from there about 100 yards or so is a corn field.. I'm on the bedding side of the field and water. I hope this helps

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Yup, in NJ you can bait deer/bear on private and WMA land. But NOT federal (Water Gap) or some state land that has special no baiting rules. For example, you can hunt Kitantinny state park... but I would call the ranger station first to make sure baiting is legal.

·
11,226 Posts
If your really good at carpentry they call you a Master Carpenter and all the best chefs are called Master Chefs does this mean that because I'm really good at baiting that I'm a Master Baiter? [confused][smirk]:D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mysticguido, how long do your food plots last? I was thinking about doing the same where I hunt. I read it is not worth the effort to plant small plots because the deer will eat it up quickly. Whendo you plant? Any advice on which feed and time of year.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
spring planting for summer the fall planting for winter.... use plot-saver to help make the small ones last.. switch back and forth... works for me.. Also put out corn, soy beans, peanuts, apples, sweet potatos

1 - 20 of 22 Posts