New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if and when to you seed rye in the spring and is their anything else that easy to seed i'm going to seed some old wma fields that have not been planted in some time also have a few small opean places in the wood that i would like to try you no a personel food plot till some one finds them lol

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I dont know to much about rye. but the imperial no-plow and secret spot seed blends do real well in small open areas

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
you better check the laws before you plant on WMA. It fall under public domain (state, county or township hels land) which can only be planted with written permission.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Fertilize plants and tree it is cheaper and less work. The results will be much better. Don't spend your money on food plots unless you own the land. I have done a little wildlife habit manipulation and it cost about $1000 per acre to start. Seed, fuel, weed killer, lime, fertilizer, equipment, and time. It's not as easy as Ray Scott says, I'm a member of the Whitetail Institue. Pintlala, AL. I have tried different methods for 8-10 years. It's cheaper to use what Ma Nature has given you to work with. Fertilize oaks, persimmons, wildberrys, honeysuckle, etc. Any browse plants. Small plots don't really help other then a slight draw. Not worth they effort. A pile of corn does better then a 100' x 100' food plot. Deer are browsers, not grazers like cattle. Leave the food plots to clubs and farmers. These deer are just fine with out it. Mineral licks are good in the spring. I make mine in March. I already have my supplies ready. If you are trying to get better antlers then supplement them in May-Sept with Deer Chow. They love it and it gets results. I place 50 per week at 2 stands. They get used to the food and makes drawing them in the fall easier.

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
Were at? [hihi]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts