New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm... I read that bearded hens are illegal to shoot during the spring season. So it looks like I have to look for both a beard AND a colorful head. Any other way to tell?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Struting and the fanned tale would be my guess.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
getting ready here also..changed barrels and repainted my gun..got rid of the red-dot and added a 2.5 power scope..we will see wether or not i like it better

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
hope to get permit this is going to be first year turkey hunting could use some info from all you guys i hope to hunt colliers mills wma area

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
hey guys. im only a few years into turkey hunting but doing pretty good at calling them in so far. what i found is that (as hard as it is) don't call to the gobblers once they've answered. let them get curious and come looking, you'll be amazed on the results. (they might come in quietly so be ready)

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This will be my first "hardcore" turkey hunting year. Last year I saw turkey while early bow hunting...then come fall turkey season... nothing.

This spring (lottery permitting) I will be going just about every morning before work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a note, if you guys never been to the NWTF northern dinner click onto there website and get tickets, you won't belive the stuff there!
March 13th 3-8 pm wayne manor, rt 23 s, ,Wayne NJ[up]

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Don't try and make you shot pattern to tight. I was guiding this guy from MD. All he talked about was how tight his $80 choke tube was. He missed a nice tom at 12 paces. I hit it with a wall of nighty, night lead at 25 yards on the wing. Fell to the ground stone dead.

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Went to the NWTF dinner last year with a bunch of my club members and we had a good time and a few guys won stuff from guns to trips. It is at the Wayne Manor off Rt 23S.

I cant go this year as my wife is due around the same time. Oh well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
added a 2.5 power scope..we will see wether or not i like it better
I went to a scope over fluorescent front/adjustable rear iron sights. Much better! Take it out to the range and pattern it. I shot 12 gauge, 3.5 inch, number 5's Hevi Shot. We can kill coyotes here in PA during turkey season so I went back to number 4's for them. Should be accurate and deadly on turkeys to around 75 yards.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts