New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So I want to check out Splitrock Reservoir with the hubby. I was doing some reading online and I read that fishing from the shoreline is not allowed.

Is that correct? I looking in the Fish & Wildlife Digest and didn't see anything related to shoreline fishing.

Obviously we want to make sure we are following the regulations.

Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Andrea

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

Split Rock has been in the news recently because Fish & Wildlife has inexplicably released 52 large-sized Hybrid Striped Bass they were growing out in the hatchery into the reservoir.
It's an unusual reservoir in that they don't have a traditional boat ramp and don't allow gas motors.

I don't know if they allow shoreline fishing. I know they used to forbid it, but I don't know if that has changed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I saw that notice from F&W as well. Didn't know they even released striped bass into any waters. I was looking for somewhere new to try fishing and never knew anything about this body of water. Feel kind of silly considering all the years we've lived in this area.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have seen people shore fishing there before. Don't know if there are rules against it or not. Don't know why it would be illegal. I have taken my kayak out there a few times to fish. Have caught smallmouth, largemouth and crappie.

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
used to sneak in years ago ( 45 plus hopefully the statue of limitations has expired) was good fishing then. Have not been there I years.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
used to sneak in years ago ( 45 plus hopefully the statue of limitations has expired) was good fishing then. Have not been there I years.
I'm ratting you out, right now. [ko]

You can only fish by carry-in boat because they're trying to keep the place pristine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of my friends did some biking in there last weekend and it looked like there are some streams on the property. I'd love to see if there are any fish in the streams. From what I've read online, you cannot fish from the shoreline. Not exactly sure why they wouldn't allow shoreline fishing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL - very good point indeed.[ko] I can understand why they wouldn't allow gas-powered engines, but not shore line fishing. Maybe they are worried about trash left on the shorelines? That's all I can think of.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
LOL - very good point indeed.[ko] I can understand why they wouldn't allow gas-powered engines, but not shore line fishing. Maybe they are worried about trash left on the shorelines? That's all I can think of.
Been kayaking and hunting up there for decades. It's an attempt to preserve the environment, which I fully agree with.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Hell that's a big improvement, the last time I fished there, (a bit more than 50 years ago) you could catch fish on anything that you could get to stick on a hook. HOWEVER no one was allowed on or around the lake except the boy scouts, canoeing only. When we got caught fishing,[ninja] the guy, (no idea what department he was from) threatened to kill us and dump our bodies in the lake. When we got back and told the scoutmaster what he said, his reply was that if we messed it up for everybody else, that he would do the same. My buddies and I got latrine duty,[wallmad] every trip after that until we left the scouts, for doing something that we shouldn't of.
To this day I think of that every time I see a sign, or something related to "Split-Rock" scared the $h!t out of me.
I learned a valuable lesson as a scout, "Be Prepared" to suffer the consequences of your actions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts