New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this spike in person, I've seen how big he is compared to decent younger buck. The pictures don't really capture how big his body is, but I'm curious as to how old ya'all think he might be. And I know, I know... spikes don't always stay spikes, but he's got a decent amount of meat on him!

And I threw in a bear picture... since the bear are back after their 6 day vacation.

spike1.jpg
Spike2.jpg
Spikebear.jpg

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
He still looks like a 1 1/2 yr old. Possibly he just has a larger body.

Yes..If you're looking for a trophy shoot him next year...lol

Not that anyone has to tell you...shoot it when ever you want...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I agree, don't shoot him this year and also hope nobody in the area shoots him or he doesn't become a car hood ornament.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why concern yourself with the animal's age? If he is big enough to fill your needs, make a clean ethical shot and haul him home. Eat the meat, tan the hide and make buttons from the horns. Its all good
Because it's all a part of the learning process for me. He's big enough to fill a freezer for a friend, but so would a doe. So... if there is potential in him, then I'll let him go and assuming he survives I'll get to watch him grow over the next year. I'm trying to learn selectivity.

Reactions: 319 and Jakesbeard

·
Registered
170 Posts
Quick shoot him now , because from what i have seen and read here a lot of people would. (Why give him a chance to mature,grow and do his job as a buck ????) take him 2 or 3 years from now If its meat you want take a doe .

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Because it's all a part of the learning process for me....I'm trying to learn selectivity.
You've answered your own question. Seeing all the great deer you have bagged this year, go with the experiment and see what happens next year. BTW-since your freezer is full...I'd be glad to help reduce all them does plauging you![ko]

Reactions: bigwuhead

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Yep classic young buck. Look how long the legs look for the body. Take a doe for meat if you still want some more

1 - 20 of 38 Posts