New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 of us were turkey hunting today and out of nowhere came a Sow and 3 cubs . They were moving steadily towards us from about 10 o'clock. We first spotted about 50 yards away and once she got to 20 yards still coming right to us it got a little too close for comfort. Not wanting it to get any closer to us and then startling it, my buddy fired a shot away from them and that was enough to have them scatter. They ran a few feet with one cub running up a tree. All of them suddenly stopped including the sow and down comes the little cub from the tree. At this time the sow spotted us and all 3 cubs start following the sow slowly going away from us.

Pretty cool experience, a little tense for a moment.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
That probally could have went bad. With a cub going up a tree like that Mom could have went into defense Mode. I would have just stood up and yelled. Then you would have had 1 more shell if you needed it . Had it gotten ugly

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Parkers right firing a shot was creating chaos, the mother may have charged if she thought any cubs were in danger.

There's two of you, make yourselves look large and yell, throw sticks is ok, once the bear which has bad eyesight recognizes you are humans, she'll mosey off.

If not shoot your buddy in the leg and run!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Had a similar situation the other day too. My son and I went down on my lower property in the woods. He was riding his quad on the track we built and I was hanging out watching him when I saw 2 cubs fleeing up a tree 30 yards from my son. The mother was very agitated, she stood up at the base of the tree as I waved my son over to me. She was very anxious and running back and fourth near the tree the cubs went in. At one point she started walking away then turned and charged but stoped about 20 yards from us. She did this routing twice before we were able to leave. Once the cubs go up the trees the mom aint leaving. This can create a dangerous situation. In our case we drove right past them heading in to the woods and never saw them. The mother was pretty much blocking our way back out or we would have left sooner. Very uncomfortable situation.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
With a cub going up a tree like that Mom could have went into defense Mode
Not as common black bear behavior as other bears
Attacks on humans
Like many animals, they seldom attack unless cornered, threatened, or wounded. They are less likely to attack humans than Grizzly Bears and typically flee for cover as soon as they identify a human visitor. Deaths by Black Bear, though, are most often predatory, while the more numerous grizzly fatalities on humans are often defensive.[23] This makes feigning death when a Black Bear attacks ineffective. Although 15 North Americans have been killed since the year 2000, it is estimated that there have been only 56 documented killings of humans by Black Bears in North America in the past 100 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts