New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i live in ocean county and im new to this forum and to hunting in general. all i want to do is hunt pheasant or birds and i dont know where to start. Gun? place? dog? anything would be helpful

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
youngbuck -

First, go take (and pass) your NJ hunter safety course.

You are over 21, right? If so, find/research a shotgun (12 gauge)...but not a slug gun... that you like. Then take a drive over to PA and buy it over the counter.

Then...purchase a NJ pheasant stamp (depends where you hunt)...and go shoot some birds!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i not 21 im 18 and already have taken the course. my dad and i are going to start hunting together so he will get the id card. where can you hunt phaesant in ocean or mommoth county and do you need a dog.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Try hunting the WMA's. You don't need a dog, but it'll be a lot harder to find and flush birds without one.

I use a 12 ga. O/U for my Upland - I'm looking into getting a Side by side in 20 ga.

Quail - Pheasant - Chukkar can all be taken with 20 ga and even 28 ga.

You can hunt Semi-wild preserves if you don't mind paying. I like Bent Creek Preserve; there are others throughout the state.

If you need to practice - you can shoot skeet at Fort Dix Range 14 - $50 1 year membership for Ft Dix Rod and Gun Club.

As far as getting your own FID - go to your local Police Dept and ask for the forms. Upon completion you'll need a Money Order for filing fees (the police will tell you what to do.... if not we'll help!)

It takes 30 days from the time you've submitted the papers to get your card, unless you have a questionable background.

As for shot-guns (field guns) - ask many questions and consider a budget. You can check the classifieds on NJH for a deal.

Have a great hunt!

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Preserves charge you a set amount and stock a set amount of birds for you. They also provide a guide and dog for an extra charge.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
what is a semi-wild preserve and are the seasons the same
There are few preserves down that way.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Before you harvest any thing I would spend time shooting just to get the feel of your weapon of choice before I attempted to take any thing. Its not the kill that should attract any one.You will have fun and when you are ready you will be better prepaired and it should be more enjoyable for you..

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
yes you can shot for free at colliers mills but go early as it gets packed on the weekends if nice out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts