New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Folks....it was a good morning. It started out humid with a mist in the air....and we were hoping the rain would hold. We were only out for Ryans tag, so I was the designated caller. We located a flock of birds with at least one gobbler, and were able to gt within 75yds of the tree in the dark and get set up. They were all talkin, and we had the gobbler going for awhile, but they came around behind us and we got busted. Then we had 2 other gobblers yelling at us after sun up...but they moved off, and as we pursued them we heard another caller working them, so we backed out. We got a bit rained on for about 30 minutes....and things were not looking promising, with birds being completely quiet by 8:30. We decided to give one area a last try for 20minutes or so of sitting and calling. Nothing......bummer. But instead of heading out to the powerline for the walk back to the truck, I suggested we cut through the oaks and give a last couple calls....just in case. We had gone about 100yds, and I looked up to see a turkey in strut about 80yds or so away! At first I thought somebody had a decoy out....then on 2nd glance....IT MOVED! It had been coming in to our calling silent and we were lucky enough not to bump it. We both got behind a Y'ed tree, and got Ryan set up....and got out the slate. a few series of yelps got him to finally gobble...and in he came. At 30yds I whispered to Ryan "if you're on him, take him".....he was standing still looking at us in full strut. The 20ga cracked and down he went. Perfect shot! SO......we have another "official" hunter in the camp. With a nice gobbler under his belt to boot. He was a fighter....one spur is busted off, and the other is broken down to 5/8". It was 17lb 6oz, with a 10 1/4" beard. A really great hunt.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
A great story and a super gobbler. Best of all you shared this moment with your boy. If you read my post over the past few days I shared the first gobbler kill with one of my son's too. Difference is that my son is grown up with two sons of his own. Your boy is still a youngster which makes it even better for him!!! Great job guys hanging in there and not giving up! Congrats to both the young hunter and to Dad!!!!!!!!![up][up][up] :D

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
awesome! dad must be proud![up][up]

·
Registered
17,065 Posts
Congrats on your son's 1st bird. :D[up] Nice bird and pics. [up]

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.