New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across this on Field & Stream's website. I thought it had some useful tips for anyone who does or is looking at trying stalking deer.

Stalking Tips

David

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Does anyone in central or southern NJ stalk deer regularly? I'd imagine in Northern NJ where you have some more ridges and open terrain its a bit easier to find an advantage.

The woods I hunt are so damn thick I can't imagine stalking it effectively. The deer would hear you coming long before you got to them I'd think.

Granted you can move slower but just going through the brush is going to create noise unless you have some serious wind to work with to mask your noise.

I've always thought about stalking, but without snow print is very hard to see in alot of these pockets, getting a clear shot is even harder, and getting up on the deer is just plain near impossible I would think.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Thats why they call it 'still-hunting'. Its tough in the thick woods, but always worth a try.

·
11,226 Posts
There are a lot of different types of stalks. There is this one hillside where I hunt that is all trees and vine like briar bushes...Thick thick cover with a clear path that cuts through it about 1/4 of the way up the hill.... I hunt this spot 2 different ways. Sometimes I'll sneak along that path taking 2 or 3 steps then standing for 2-5 minutes before moving again until I see a deer and then try to close the distance for the shot.
Other times I will walk at a slow but steady pace along this path looking up the hill into the thickets but never stopping along the way! I found that if I keep moving the deer will stay still and hope for me to p [no swearing please] a lot of the times. I look for ears while walking! The shape of the ears sticks out in those thickets and then I can pick out the rest of the head. If it is an animal in range that I would like to take I stop aim and shoot! I've killed quite a few deer on this hill doing this! If I p [no swearing please] on the shot or stop and push deer up the mountain I then circle around low on the mountain out of view of the deer and sneak back along the top from the other side looking for the deer I pushed over....Again if I jump deer I wait to see where they are heading and I plan from there! Knowing the land helps a lot! When the deer run in this direction I know where they are going and I plan a stalk from there! Sometimes it's better to back off and circle around trying to cut the deer off! Sometimes a slow steady walk near the thickets will freeze the deer thinking they are safe in the cover...

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I'm yet to take one while stalking.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
i got my big buck this year still hunting. during bow i drew back on two different bucks but wasnt able to get a good shot off. with the bow i only still hunt on rainy, or extremely windy days. works best when you move quartering up wind. shotgun you can get away with still hunting a nice day.. its def an exciting way to hunt, very challenging though

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
also, if you kick deer up, dont hesitate to run after them. when they stop you stop. it sounds crazy, but it works. if you think im wrong, just go to my photogallery.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
with the bow its tough. the two bucks i drew back on this year, just wouldnt take that next step into the open. so many things have to go right for it work out. but it is fun.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
also, if you kick deer up, dont hesitate to run after them. when they stop you stop.
most deer only run a short distance then they stop, as they are running they usually make enough noise that they cannot hear you, as they stop,you stop.
I have shot several deer this way.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
I think I'm going to buy a gillie suit this year. I want to try and stalk but I like it for when I'm hunting blinds as well.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I got within shooting distance of several small bucks, shot one medium doe, missed an eight pointer at 20 yards and got busted on two more CLOSE opportunities on nice bucks while still hunting with the bow this year alone. Ive actually taken quite a few deer while still hunting with the bow. Its so enjoyable.

The trick is to make noise, but the right noise. I guess I just have a knack for sounding like a deer walking through the woods. Ive actually had deer come to investigate my walking around. I can normally get pretty close to deer while simply walking around, within 30 yards. When they get in close, its time to make them come to you.

Move slow, look around, and dont be afraid to make some noise. No animal floats through the woods without making a peep, and its not natural to hear one trying to (unless its a predator).

Good luck stillhunting and stalking...its one of the most exciting ways to hunt.[up]

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I have been there hunting with Matt and also my adopted brother Mad Mountian Mike and they both have the knack for getting close to deer on foot.

I have done it in the pouring rain and also in high winds but these two can do it on a calm day which is a great skill.

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
i've shot as many deer still hunting as i have sitting on a tree...just remember deer are curious critters if u see them running just whistle most of the time they will stop to check where the noise came from

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've tried to do some stalking this year, but to no avail. I'm sure I'll try it again. The one thing I can say about it is, you're always on super high alert. You never know when a deer will show itself or where they're hiding out. I've definitely going to have to play with it some more. One thing I will say is, knowing the land is a big plus. But even if you don't, stalking will help you learn it quickly.

David

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would like to try stalking for winter bow.Only problems I see is determing the yardage quickly.I would assume you would need a flat shooting bow for yardage estimation errors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts