New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a couple bucks I caught on my cam late at night. Absolutely no activity from 9am-5pm. Everything seems to be early morning (no big bucks) and late at night. What's up with this Rut??I'm a new hunter, any opinions on these guys? y buck 8.jpg 6pt 3.jpg 6pt buck 7.jpg 8pt Buck.jpg

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
How often are you in there checking that camera? And what time are you going?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If there WAS a big mature buck bedded in that area, you'd have blown him out of there by now.

Any advice is appreciated. This is my first season hunting and I'm normally alone when I go. I only have a couple hunters that i personally know to ask.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
1. Get yourself multiple cameras and multiple spots. This will give you more work and you'll be more occupied, so you don't stink up and spook up one spot.
2. Tread lightly everytime you go near the woods. They can hear you and smell you, they know you are\were there. They won't stick around when they know you're frequenting the area often.

You can bump a big buck one time and he might come back. Bump him twice and most likely, say good bye. People think I'm crazy, but I perfer to enter the woods and check cams when it's late night. They won't be in the bed room, they'll be out on the town. Go in when they aren't home.

As far as your pics, I would try a different place. You obviously don't have the right activity. The activity won't find you, you need to find it.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. Get yourself multiple cameras and multiple spots. This will give you more work and you'll be more occupied, so you don't stink up and spook up one spot.
2. Tread lightly everytime you go near the woods. They can hear you and smell you, they know you are\were there. They won't stick around when they know you're frequenting the area often.

You can bump a big buck one time and he might come back. Bump him twice and most likely, say good bye. People think I'm crazy, but I perfer to enter the woods and check cams when it's late night. They won't be in the bed room, they'll be out on the town. Go in when they aren't home.

As far as your pics, I would try a different place. You obviously don't have the right activity. The activity won't find you, you need to find it.
Makes sense to me.Thank you for the advice! I got into hunting late this season so hopefully by next season I will have a couple more spots, a couple more cameras, and a bit more knowledge.

I'm nervous about leaving my cam on public land as it is.. gotta do what you gotta do i guess.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Yeah, I agree with all of the above. Every 3 days is a lot. I had a big buck on my cam at 3:00am give or take a bunch of times. I looked around the area til I found a likely bedding area then moved my cam to see if I could catch him earlier or later. Finally figured out which way he was traveling. Got him coming out of his bedroom at 6:30pm and kiiled him shortly after. But, this was back in mid Oct. Gotta be scent free and I dont check mine more than once a week. Checking mid day isnt bad but if you jump them once stay outta there. Like happybloodtrails said, if your in the bedroom area late at night is better, especially if you know where they feed. Then you can avoid the feeding area and not chase them while they are traveling to and from. Its not always easy but, its always fun! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I agree with all of the above. Every 3 days is a lot. I had a big buck on my cam at 3:00am give or take a bunch of times. I looked around the area til I found a likely bedding area then moved my cam to see if I could catch him earlier or later. Finally figured out which way he was traveling. Got him coming out of his bedroom at 6:30pm and kiiled him shortly after. But, this was back in mid Oct. Gotta be scent free and I dont check mine more than once a week. Checking mid day isnt bad but if you jump them once stay outta there. Like happybloodtrails said, if your in the bedroom area late at night is better, especially if you know where they feed. Then you can avoid the feeding area and not chase them while they are traveling to and from. Its not always easy but, its always fun! Good luck!
I'm as scent free when I go to check my cam as I am when I hunt so I hope that helps. I'll leave it for a week at a time and try doing what you said, maybe I can catch him earlier. Thank you for the advice

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Don't rely on your camera's too much. I have deer coming during midnight on my cams but when i hunt there i always see deer during daylight . The best thing to do is to be out in your stand at all times. good luck [up]

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Public land? Get that camera out of there soon.
Yeah that's why I was checking it so often. I'm paranoid it is going to get stolen even with the locks on it. Turns out I was hurting myself by checking it so often too.

Don't rely on your camera's too much. I have deer coming during midnight on my cams but when i hunt there i always see deer during daylight . The best thing to do is to be out in your stand at all times. good luck [up]
I'm trying! I think some further scouting is needed so I can figure out where this guy is coming from

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
rig up your camra with a lock and chain i hunt about 10 stands a season and dont hunt the same tree more then 1time a week even if i see a big buck at the spot because of scent i run 2 camras at about 5-6 of them diffrent stands. i keep it at each of them spots for a week or longer. if your hunting public land try and get away from other hunters them pine deer r smart too smart at times and someone even hunting a 1/4 mile away from you can keep the older deer out of the area if they have no clue what they r doing. most of all have fun best of luck to ya

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rig up your camra with a lock and chain i hunt about 10 stands a season and dont hunt the same tree more then 1time a week even if i see a big buck at the spot because of scent i run 2 camras at about 5-6 of them diffrent stands. i keep it at each of them spots for a week or longer. if your hunting public land try and get away from other hunters them pine deer r smart too smart at times and someone even hunting a 1/4 mile away from you can keep the older deer out of the area if they have no clue what they r doing. most of all have fun best of luck to ya
thank you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts