New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How the Hell does this happen? [mad][mad]

Hunter shot after call is mistaken for real bird.

Upper Township
A camouflage-clad hunter was shot in the arm and leg by another hunter who mistook the man's turkey call for a real bird, state police said.
Jerry White, 28 of Dennis Township underwent surgery Friday to repair damage to his right arm. Doctors removed 150 pellets from the arm and 4 from the leg. White remained in the hospital, but was listed in good condition.
State police said the pre-dawn incident happened Wednesday at the Peaslee WMA in Cape May County. White was hidden behind a treeline and began making turkey calls to lure birds within range. The other hunter, Michael Kalin, 47 was approaching on a nearby road and apparently mistook the birdcalls for real game.

Another black eye for hunters by another friggen idiot![mad][mad][mad][mad][down]

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Besides being an a$$hole, he has to be a poacher too. Shooting at what had to sound like a hen, and before verifying it to be a legal tom.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Here's one possible scenario, the hunter that was shot could have been using a gobble call. I use one occasionally in conjucntion with a hen call... it fires up mature toms. He also could have had a jake decoy in his vest with the head sticking out... which would put the shot pattern on his arm and upper leg. I may be giving the "shooter" too much credit but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. But regardless of that, he should have knows what he was shooting at.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
TURKEY HUNTING REGULATION #13 - Turkey hunters may not stalk or attempt to take a wild turkey by sneaking up on the bird !!!!!!

Plus I'm sure a few other violations may come into play!!!!

I hope the shooter loses his license for life - There's no excuse for this behavior and this kind of crap gives all of us law abiding and safe hunters a bad name and undeserved reputation.[mad][mad][mad]

I also hope and pray that the poor guy who got shot fully recovers from his injuries and has full use of his his arm and leg !!!! :)[up]

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Hey JerseyJim I agree 100%. I would also like to add that given that there are 13 million hunters we really do a very good job with safety. There are few mishaps (stupidity) that gets reported by a media that is just waiting for us hunters to make mistakes.

Fact is we are always on the defensive and bristle at the slighest hint that one of us messed up.

In contrast your post about PETA said:

"From July 1998 through the end of 2003, PETA killed over 10,000 dogs, cats, and other "companion animals" -- at its Norfolk, Virginia headquarters. That's more than five defenseless animals every day. Not counting the dogs and cats PETA spayed and neutered, the group put to death over 85 percent of the animals it took in during 2003 alone. And its angel-of-death pattern shows no sign of changing."

This report on PETA is a disgrace and should be receiving national attention - but I didn't hear a thing about it until your post.

My point is that there is a double standard. Yes, this guy was an idiot and how he passed a hunter education course (if he even took one) is beyond me. I wish the anti's were held to the high standard of accountability that hunters are.

Ant
http://www.anthonypmaurosr.com

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Ant & Jim,
I fully understand both of your views, both are welcomed and make good points, but let's not make remarks like "If he even took one!" It could have been alot different scenerio then we know. The shooter was 47, just maybe he was a working cl [no swearing please] guy who could only take the opening day off for turkey season and was a little over anxious. What if the shot man 28, wasn't using his head and had a decoy in his vest. Their can be many things we don't know about this. It just make's me laugh when one of our own makes a mistake, he suddenly isn't one of our own. You guys talk about sticking together and fighting together, then post this. Nice work, hope I never have to have you pariotic, god fearing americans watching my back. Ant, you are an outdoor writer and to let your guard down and post "Idiot" what were you thinking. I agree this is a terrible episode, but to blast this guy. I read many posts on here and see inexperienced people giving advice they read about, and mature outdoorsmen and women giving great advice. I have seen men shot, three times in my life. Two times guiding and once hunting. Two of the shooter were the Suburban driving, Browning gold engraved Citori shooting, Pheasant's Forever Life member's. Are these guy's hunters. I think you would say "yes"! The other was a friend who shot another friend, rabbit hunting. Yes, they still are friends and hunt together. My stepchildren's dad was shot in a goose pit, by his nephew. Who's fault, not the 12 year olds. Even though he pulled the trigger. Youth guns have smaller length barrels, adding the adults height well, it could have been worse. The point of my post, don't make a quick judgement. I never, ever break my unity to outdoorsmen and women. I would feel like a trader. Ant. and Jim please don't ever make a mistake. Someone may jump to conclusion and bash you without knowing the truth of the matter. Will the people your organized with be there for you, better hope so.

Till our trails cross,

Ryan

·
Registered
876 Posts
Well, the first thing I learned when I started hunting was to be absolutely sure of my target and beyond. Now that 20 years have passed since my first hunt, I still think that is the MOST important rule of hunting.

If there is any doubt, don't take the shot. No game, is worth a human tragedy. Being over anxious is hardly an excuse for shooting someone!

Thank God this guy didn't get killed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Shooting another hunter is not just a mistake.. it could have been catastrophic.. in my eyes there is absolutely no excuse for shooting another hunter.. but this is JUST my opinion. :)

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Hi Ryan

You said:
"The shooter was 47, just maybe he was a working cl [no swearing please] guy who could only take the opening day off for turkey season and was a little over anxious. What if the shot man 28, wasn't using his head and had a decoy in his vest."

I was not personally at the accident so I don't know the true story, only what was reported. What I do know is that one of the points stressed in EVERY hunters education course I've been to is to KNOW YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU SHOOT. The article stated that the man shot at the turkey CALLING, which means that he didn't know his target. Because of this a person was shot and fortunately was not killed. This is what was reported and what my comments are directed at.

I also pointed out that maybe the guy didn't take a Hunters Education course. This was not a disparaging remark - it might just be a fact. If I remember correctly there were people "grand fathered" from taking them at one point in time. That is what I was alluding to.

In my opinion, whether an elite wealthy person or a 47 year old working cl [no swearing please] guy - they should be held to the same standard - don't pull the trigger unless your are sure about what you are aiming at.

HunterSQ2 said it best in my opinion "...it could have been catastrophic... there is absolutely no excuse for shooting another hunter..."

Ant

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I agree that shooting anything without knowing what is beyond is a mistake. A very tragic mistake, but what really ticked me off was the replies about it. We as outdoorsmen, should not bash our own. I don't think the shooter was acting responsible, but we don't know the situation.

Till our trails cross,
Ryan

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
How about if you all looked at it this way. He is not a hunter so stop calling him a hunter, if there is a book to be written as what not to do, just let the man write it.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
wildwork and el jefe

While I certainly respect your opinions, I also understand that this forum is a medium for each of us to express ourselves.

I disagree that because we are outdoorsmen we should not be critical of our own. Especially with something as basic as not recognizing our targets. A man was shot. At what point should we be critical if not with this incident. If we are to improve ourselves than who better than to monitor if not ourselves? This man's actions, as non-malicious as they may have been, are a reflection on all hunters. This was only one person but you can believe that if it were 20 people who did this we'd have legislatures re-writing hunting laws which would affect all of us. So I don't think we wait to begin commenting when we're at the point when 20 people are making the mistake. I think we should start when one person makes it.

I think that we understand each other's position on this matter. Obviously, we are not going to come to agreement. This will be my last post on the topic. Frankly, I'm surprised that I restrained myself from using a much harsher word in my original post to describe this person.

Ant;)

·
Registered
21,471 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
What was the guy aiming at? the other hunter's head, arm or leg. Things like this should never happen and this guy should never be allowed to hunt again period. Our sport does not have a margin of error like other sports so we need to be held to a higher standard.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts