New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of socks and boots do you wear during Six day when the weather is real cold? I've seen a few posts about feet geting cold. I still have not found the right mix of socks and boots. Currently, I wear polypro liner socks with wool socks or wick away socks and a pair of Bear Claw II. Feet still get cold, rest of the body warm as can be. Makes for a long day when your feet get cold

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
good question!

i have the same problem, i was looking at them all rubber boots with the camo pattern in them and about 1000 grams of thinsulate. are they any good? will they keep my feet warm on a late season hunt?:)

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I am a firm believer in the concept that knee high rubber boots are needed for deer hunting. I have a pair of insulated and a pare of nonunsulated. I might break out the insulated boots for this weekend. I think these boots are 400gram or 600 gram Thinsulate I don't remember for sure. The insulation is only in the foot area. With wool socks down to 20 degrees my feet are fine. Below 20 degrees I use my pac boots.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Irish Setter Buck Tracker 1,400-Gram Knee Boots ($170.00) are my favorites for Dec./Jan./Feb. hunting, followed by Rocky Snow Stalkers/Blizzard Stalkers (about $110.00) - Both have kept me warm and very comfortable on those cold days.

Any wool blend sock will due in these boots, and I like to use a light to medium weight Polartec® 200 or 300 Weight 16" Sock over the top of the first pair of socks to wick away any moisture.

Check them out at Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/

Also, I take a rug with a rubberized bottom (like the one you buy to put in front of the toilet bowl or outside of the bath tub)and place it on the tree stand platform to add additional insulation between my feet and platform - You'd be suprised what a difference this makes, and it provides a non-slip surface on permanent wooden tree stand platforms.[up]

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
OutlawJT - I'm thinking about getting a pair of Bucktrackers. Did you order them in regular size or 1 size larger?

They offer half sizes when most others don't.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I have the same boots as Outlaw but mine have 1600 gr. of thinsulate
did you buy'em a size bigger so as to trap air? and do they keep your feet warm?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I ordered a 1/2 size bigger, and they do stretch a bit to accomodate your socks - They are the warmest and most comfortable boots I have ever worn, and the side zipper is great for easy on and easy off wear. [up]

And, they have great traction in snow and mud!!![up][up]

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cabelas has a good price on the Irish Setter 600 grams of thinsulate $69.99. I wear Bone Dry from B [no swearing please] Pro with a 1000 grams of thinsulate during bow season, then I switch to the Bear Claws. I use the rubber boots more for scent control, plus getting through the fields in weather like we are having now. But I find even on the colder days my feet still sweat and the rubber does not breath and it cause my feet to get cold.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I want to try these, I have heard good things about them. ArcticShield® Boot Insulators
By using super-efficient RE-tain™ insulation technology, ArcticShield crafted these over-boot insulators with the packability to fit easily in your coat pocket and with a comfort rating of -110° F. They are well-suited for moderate activity in cold conditions, and the slip and wear-resistant soles keep you safe and last for many seasons. The soft 100% polyester outer-shell material is quiet and doesn't readily pick up burrs, seeds and other clingy vegetation. And the 100% nylon lining slides over footwear with ease. Each has a locking draw cord and zippered rear opening for a better fit.
Sizes: S(6-7), M(8-9), L(10-11), XL(12-13).

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
toasty

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
wick away socks thae wool socks. my feet still get cold bcause they sweat so much even in the winter. what helps some is spraying my feet with a non scented anti-perspirant.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Those boot covers look kinda' clumbsy, and look like they could possibly slide down and present a climbing hazard on steps and/or ladder stands.[confused]

·
Banned
1,192 Posts
I love my rocky deer stalkers supreme 1600 grams of thinsulate with scent controll.A bit pricey but feet have never gottin cold in them.Also they are very light so makes walking in them very easy.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I use silk liners, then a pair of wool or wool blend then a pair of Rocky bear claws. And for extra measure when I get up in my stand I put on my arctic shields. Only mine are the old fashioned felcro type. I always carry them just in case. Sometimes I even sweat while just sitting and have to take them off or un-velcro.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts