New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with this cold weather it wont be long till the lakes ice up. I'm looking forward to getting on the ice and doing some fishing. How many of you guys ice fish? I need to start getting my gear together see what I need ect.. Maybe we could have an ice fishing get together.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
i would go but my dad thinks its wayy too cold and i dont have the equipment anyway...sounds like fun...i dont think id last in that cold either...

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
WE have a bunch of guys that head out every sunday ice fishing, as soon as the ice thickens to 3" we have a few private ponds and lakes that we fish, Usually do quite well.:):)

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mack ya gotta dress for the occasion..

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
there are several lakes around Mack. I go to lake Hopatcong alot and have done well. The bait varies, Tip ups you use shiners, fatheads,ect.. for jigging you can use a bunch of diffrent jigs tipped with either mousey grubs maggots ect..there alot of diffrent baits.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I used to like Greenwood lake until some a$#hole ran over one of my tip-ups with a snow mobile. I also like Mountain Lake. Both places have some big muskies. I have never had any luck at Mountain Lake though

To effectivly ice fish Greenwood you need your own snowmobile. Public places to get on the ice are few. Some marinas will charge you an arm & a leg to park there to go on. There actually is good fishing near the public access areas, but there is better fishing in places far from where you can park.

I also sometimes ice fish at Hopatcong, Shepard Lake, Waywayanda, Saffon pond, and Green Turtle pond.
I would like to try Sally's Pond and Round Valley.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Never tried ice fishing. Is it tough?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I'm in. I haven't done it in a while though. Not since 96. I got tip up, need to change the line and hooks. My hand auger is a piece of crap though.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 08 Dec 2005 12:22 PM

Currently Offline Posts: 254
I think we should definately plan an Ice fishing outing for NJH members. If this weather keeps up, it won't be long.
That would be awsome.....we could grill venison and have all our holes in a 100 yard radius.

One of the main things about ice fishing is that it is social. I always end up hanging out with those fishing near me.

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
never did it but allways was curious about it... well good luck guys,,,,when youre on the ice think of me as i sit in front of the fireplace with a drink in hand..

·
Registered
642 Posts
All them holes who's got the power auger, I ice fished a few years ago At lake Hoptacong and had a blast. I guess I should start going, my nine year old is starting to get very bored already

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I have a snowmobile, power auger, extra tip-ups and jigging rods. You guys name the place and I've got the time. [up]

Monksville is very slow for ice fishing. [down]

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guys when we have enough "safe ice" we can set a date and place.. It should be fun.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts