New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can bait, according to the regs, as long as you're at least 100 yds away.

Anyone got any preferences? I'm due to clean out the fridge and freezer, and I've got some corn. What else? Molasses? Old cake & donuts? Pancake syrup?

And how can I make it last more than 1 night?

·
Registered
550 Posts
i go to dunkin donuts and get all the donuts they throw away at nite..The bears go crazy...Good Luck with whatever you use..

B

·
0 Posts
well if your on private land I would get if you can, the inner tub of a wahsing machine, maybe get one at the local dump, wash it out good, kill at that oder, then take it where you want, fill it up with all types of food, even cheap dog food would do the trick, cover it with a 3/4" plywood, and lay a heavy rock or log on top, so only a bear can knock it off, then spread molasses all around the bait, this makes a scent trail, any other bears walking will pick up this scent and be drawn into your bait

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BHC--public; gotta hoof in my bait..

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I believe the best bait is 1 week old chinese food.

No Joke.

·
Banned
137 Posts
good job to anyone that baits...I guess most people are more concerned with bagging one then what the overall harm you cause to those bears that take to your bait but do not get killed. You have now successfully introduced an unnatural food source to bear population. Way to go!

B

·
0 Posts
this is NJ, not CANADA......NJ bears have access to food that we eat no matter where the bears live

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
NBK,Its the same food the Bears are already eating out of Garbage Cans.Is That unnatural also. So in turn in NJ its Natural to them.Cause thats what there use too.

B

·
0 Posts
well if we don't have a bear hunt, then bears may go and eat a child GOD FOREBID. NBK is that a NATURAL food source for bears?

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey NBK--what say we smear you with pancake syrup and chain you to a tree by the bait pile so you can scare the bears away? Would you be happy then?

Oh but wait...the sight of you might cause the bears to suffer hysterical blindness, and that wouldn't be right...

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Honey and Berries are the best bait... There are nature food and sometimes all you have to do is find a berry patch or a tree with bees...

At the bear cl [no swearing please] I went to the "Bear Guy" said the bears will be all over the acorns in DEC....

1 - 20 of 54 Posts