New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure I am not alone when I say that " I love hunting when it is snowing or there is snow on the ground". I dont know what it is, but no matter how cold it is, I enjoy sitting in the snow more than any other season. It also makes for easy tracking, and pics of deer in the snow are incredible!!!!

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I love it to Ian, great for all the reasons you listed.
One draw back is that you leave tracks right to your stands. I know of a few people that had their stands stolen from places that you would never know that a stand was, till the tracks led them to it :(:(

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I agree. For those of us with climbers, tracks are not an issue. And in some cases when hunting unfamiliar land, tracks make it a piece of cake to find your way out in the dark.

I love snow no matter when and where I'm at.

David

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I love hunting in the snow maybe that is why I like winter bow so much, That and the fact that some people would rather be in the woods with a gun in different zone.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Gotta love snow. I really like when its lightly snowing with a few inches already on the ground. The woods are so pretty, and the deer are really easy to see. I also like when the snow is just a tad crunchy and the air is cold and still. Every noise is amplified.

SNOW====[up][up]

As far as tracks go, I steer clear of my good spots in the snow because I dont want people to know where I hunt. Same reason I dont use glow tacks, or ribbon to mark the way in/out.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
I love the snow The last 2 years we had snow for the eairly permit season during the week of thanksgiving. It was during this earlier permit seanson where I shot my 2 deer with one slug. and they were the only 2 deer standing there.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Snow means tracking and thats why I love to hunt in snow..By this time of year, I am tired of sitting in a deer stand and like to get aggressive and seak out the bucks..I am hoping for snow this weekend in NY, I doubt it but there is a chance in the Catskill High Peaks, which is where I will go if the white is on the ground...There is nothing like following a fresh track in the snow or slowly still hunting a snow covered ridge line..

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
What's the bag limit on snow? lol

Seriously though. Six inches or less snow is great. Tracking is simple; dragging a deer is eaiser; and you can see deer better because they don't blend in.

Deep snow is a trade off. While you still have the above advantages walking takes more energy. One day I am going to get snowshoes for this condition.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
One day I am going to get snowshoes for this condition
You won't regret it. Just get a size or weight limit larger than you think you need.[up] Helps pulling out a deer or packing in stands and equipment you didn't think of.:) Don't for get a snow sled/tobbogan.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I love snow. Only problem I have is the deer can spot me easier also. I have to work on that. But I don't limit myself to just deer hunting. I also use it to my advantage with pheasant hunting. Being that I don't have a dog, I have tracked many pheasants in the snow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts