New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You boys up north shooting any snow geese. Man they are all over us down here. Salem, Cumberland, and Gloucester counties. I have a party coming next Tuesday. I went solo yesterday morning and shot 7 in about 3 hour back home at 10am. Let me know if your killing any up the.

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
season is open?! had no idea..i guess ill check the game laws and possibly go this saturday..gonna have to get a goose call tho..only got call for canadian. what is a good call for decent price for snow geese? i dont really see snow geese much..not sure if i ever did actually. TONS of canadians tho..not quite sure on why they stop the season so early..just doesnt make any sense to me i see millions every weekend

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't go spending your money on some thing that you may not hunt. Plus, I very rarely use mine. I could never sound like the thousands that are in these flocks. I hunt by location, location, location. I scout and return the next morning. If I had another 1000 decoys I'd still be dwarfed by their flock sizes. I used to place 800-1000 decoys, but now I do a little more guerilla warfare style I call little and lively. I place some converted full body canadas to snow decoys, plenty of flyer kites, flags, and swivels siloettes. Plenty of movement and the flyer help with thier feeding motion on the marsh. They seem to hop scotch jump over each other while in a feeding frenzy. I've been fairly successful using this method. Maybe, next year you can come down and enjoy a hunt. I'd be more then glad to show you how this is done.

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
thanks for the offer wild work. i dont really see snow geese at all where i hunt..mainly cut cornfields with small ponds near by..about 1-2miles off of the deleware river ..makes a good location for canadian geese anyway.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I used to hunt down in Brigantine on the islands just outside of Edwin B. Forsythe Wildlife refuge - Used to put the boat in a Leeds Point or at the State Marina in Brigantine....

After the first few weeks of the snow goose season and them being shot at, they would get really smart and only fly during the "no shoot" times (at night and wee hours of the morning.) It was also a treat trying to navigate the waters from Leeds point to just outside the refuge in January when they take out the navigational aids in the waterways....We did a lot of poling around and pushing our ways out of the wrong shallow gutways - If you didn't know your landmarks, you were really in for a treat of "try to find the right way home"!!!

I haven't hunted down there in about 15 years, but we used to put out 100 Texas Rag Snow Goose Decoys, about two dozen staked down white paper plates, and then a few floating Canadian decoys, black duck and mallard decoys in the little standing water "puddles/ponds" on the island. Then we would lay down some boat cushions with camo burlap over them and lay down on them in the middle of the spread.

Chest waders, a good heavy jacket, then a full white Tyvek suit over the top and you were ready to go. Also had a floating gun case 'cuz I fell asleep once in the afternoon and woke up in 6" of water in a blow in tide...The gun got wet when I woke up, but it still worked to shoot two Canadians in a row!!!!

Used an Olt Snow Goose Call, and Olt Long River 77 Canadian Goose call (my all around favorite) to call in the geese.

Always took home mixed bags of geese and ducks with a few Brant thrown in (early in the season before they got into the sea cabbage). I miss those days of running in to Brigantine laundrimats or in the Old Farmhouse Bar in Smithville near Rte. 9 to dry out my clothes and warm up - Funny thing that the locals weren't phased by us goose hunter in our long john's sitting by the dryers or by the wood burning stove in the bar!!!.

Where Outlaw and I hunt, there are absolutely no Snows around at all...I usually hear and see them all night long by my house in Long Branch, flocks of a couple hundred of birds, and see them on Monmouth county farms, especially near Freehold Raceway Mall, but none near the Delaware River where our clubs are at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts