New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snared skunk this morning in my set. Dispatched through lungs but still sprayed, but not me. Truck now has a unique odor and getting alot of looks when stopped in traffic. Got the critter home and washed w/ peroxide, baking soda and dish soap really did the job.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
I am about 7 for 8 with skunks. 7 times they sprayed once it did not! Need someone smarter than me to figure out how to kill them without getting sprayed! [rofl]

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
According to Dr Grant Woods of Growing Deer.com Shoot trapped skunks through the lungs with a 22 soft round pt. If you use a hollow point they will spray every time.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
cb shorts do as good a job as any. just do not hit the shoulder or there will be a spray. the key is letting the skunk calm down before you shoot let it smell the barrel and ease up. also I found that putting the end of the barrel touching the side works a little better. but even then they all seem to dribble a little when the die. not a spray just a leak out.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
I heard that if you get down at eye level with them. Grab the tail, lift it straight up so the feet leave the ground and stare at the ~vent~ they will not spray...the trick is to yell loudly while shakeing the tail violently

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
On my way to my stand yesterday morning in the dark, I could smell fresh skunk, so strong it burned my nose. I kept thinking, shit, I dont want to get sprayed!

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
yeah grab the skunk by the tail cut the snare off and put it in a gas chamber no worries on it spraying in the chamber[up] but gobs way is much better.[up]

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
i didn't think we could use CO2 in nj
same with injection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts