New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im new to the forum so I'm not sure if this post is in the correct section, but Im looking to get into trapping snappers. I have lots of prime areas around me, so if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions that would be great.
Since I will have football practice throughout the summer I need a way to keep the gas tank full because I cant have a steady job, I trap **** and fox in the winters so I figure I'd give this a try.
First of all, where are good spots to set a trap? what is good bait? and how do I set traps in tidal water areas without drowning the turtles? And in regard to licenses do I just need my NJ fishing license to trap them? Also do I need a special permit to sell them? And who do you sell to?
Sorry for the mouth full of questions but, if I'm doing this I want to do it right. If there's any other tips or things I missed please don't hold back! Thanks in advance, Jon

·
Registered
790 Posts
need permit to take more than 3 a day and have to list all water that is going to be trapped. not many buyers around in jersey. most people sell their turtle in maryland(4 hour drive from central jersey.) it is illeagal to transport turtle into ny & pa. float traps in tidal water. any fish for bait.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
if you do let me know. most all town health departments do not allow the markets to buy or sell turtle. stupid health codes
i got the Korean connection son, if you need product moved I'm your man. I get 15% of all transactions and a 10% finders fee.
I'll move whatever whenever, box turtles, snapping turtles, leather backs, Porpoise embryos, shark fins, short stripers, live fluke etc etc

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
if you want to learn how to catch snappers whatch the turtle man. CALL OF THE WILDMAN.
THESE GUY ON HERE DONT HAVE ANYTHING ON THE TURTLEMAN. (LIVE ACTION)

·
Registered
597 Posts
a friend of mine use to set nets , and then they sold them in maryland . i believe at the time it was 3.99/lb or close to that. not sure of the permit, but this is nj so im sure u need one . good luck .

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
X2 on what catfish said

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the input fellas. Since I can't seem to find a local buyer, looks like I'll only be catching a few for the pot[up]

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I was just talking to Newt last week about the turtle laws here in NJ. in the closed season you can not posses a turtle at all even if it cam from another state. the permit process you will need to contact the state to see what next step for you a new trapper. remember trapping turtles in the early spring will be different than in August.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts