New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Super Moderator
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time i was in Florida a water moccasin almost got me.
It struck at my chest because i was in at least knee deep water.
Before i continue i know in this case i would need a catchers chest protector lol
I have gone about 5 times and only time i had an issue ( have see huge black snakes near water but they never bothered me) . anyhow I was debating snake boots or gaiters . Each appear to have advantages .
I like the idea on a nice pair of boots and they would seem to be better protection ( gaiters can move and may have weak spots ?) on the other hand I like how easy gaiters appear to be to put on and take off . Most hunting there is off a swamp buggy but you do have to retrieve the hogs . Looking for opinions from people with experience with either or both

· Registered
2,211 Posts
Florida? What kind of terrain and what boots would you normally wear there? If it's swampy wading, you will need rubber or wet boots. Which is cooler for warm weather? I dont know snake boots, but I have worn those high leather tree climber style boot. They will be pretty hot, and harder to dry out overnight if wet. Mine would be wet in Fla just from sweat. If it was me, I would lean towards gaiter, as long as they werent too warm. I think that gives more overall wardrobe options especially footwear

· Super Moderator
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Arne I was leaning towards gaitors but curious what happens if your work boot get bit?
I go one day and the boots can dry for months lol
Gaitors look much easier to put on and take off

· Registered
2 Posts
I don’t hunt in Florida but hunt a lot in low country South Carolina and belong to a club in Alabama. My buddy wears Cabelas leather snake boots and I wear Lacrosse rubber snake boots. His feet are always wet and mine are dry. My Lacrosse boots are difficult to put on and take off but are very comfortable for walking. They haven’t been tested for snake bite yet but I am reasonably certain confident that they will deter a snake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts