New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some folks equate them to being "barbed". Im not sure what a "barbed" broadhead would look like nor do I know if they are legal here as I cant find the info

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
hmm i kind of like them :p

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
They must still be 3/4" closed.
Not so. The 3/4" rule applies to cut on contact broad heads, and open mechanicals. Many mechanical broadheads are less than 3/4" closed in flight, but open on impact to 1 1/2" to 2" widths. Its the open cutting width that counts against the 3/4" rule

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
This is all I found in the digest (page 26):

All bows must have a minimum draw
weight of 35 pounds at the archer’s
draw length, except compounds, which
must have a minimum peak draw
weight of 35 pounds. All arrows used
for hunting deer, turkey, coyote, fox or
woodchuck must be fitted with a wellsharpened
metal head with a minimum
width of 3/4 inches.
Arrows fitted with heads other than
specified for deer, turkey, coyote, fox or
woodchuck may be carried in the woods
and fields during the small game season
or other seasons which overlap with the
bow and arrow deer season.

My interpretation of this would be that the broadhead when closed must be 3/4".

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
My interpretation of this would be that the broadhead when closed must be 3/4".
If that's the case than 50% of NJ deer hunters are in violation of the law: As for my personal experience, I have been stopped and inspected 3 times while going to and from the stand in the last 5 years. I have, and continue to hunt with both Muzzy 3 blade fixed broadheads, and Vortex mechanicals. While the 3 blades fixed are 1 inch, the vortex are only 5/8" closed-I cary both(vortex for 10+ yard shots and muzzy's for directly under the stand shots) All three CO's passed me on the mechanicals as being perfectly legal despite the fact that they are less than 3/4" closed. (I did not specifically ask them the question-but would assume if I was in violation they would have said something)

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
If that restriction applied to mechanicals (when closed), few, if any, would be legal for use in NJ. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any mechanicals that would qualify. The width minimum is for cutting diameter. You don't have to take my word for it. Contact Fish and Game and they'll tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
That's cool. I am just stating what it says in the laws and my interpretation. I never pursued it any further to clarify with F&W.

CYP-If you are planning on using them it may be worth a phone call to NJF&W.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
cool looking broadhead, but How can you be sure the cut pattern in the plastic bag and tomato isn't from the fletching and that the broad head only opened after it hit the backstops? He make use of the phrase "may or may not open" quite frequently. If it works it could be the next rage.:D

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
may or may not open
I've never had a mechanical fail to open on impact with a deer. Once in ablue moon, they open in flight after striking an un-seen twig, but never have they "just opened" in flight, and they have never "failed to open" on impact with a deer(or any other creature for that matter. The only shot I do not like with a mechanical is the straight down shot-for some reason, these just do not seem to do the damage I want-way to long and difficult for recovery purposes. That's why I keep two fixed blade tipped arrows in my quiver w 3 mechanicals. I switch to the fixed blade when I get that right under the stand shot opportunity

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.