New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am heading out camping at Bulls Island with the family this weekend. My Brother-in-law is bringing his boat. We went last year and had horrible fishing condiitons after some big storms had the river a high/fast choclate milk looking mess. We managed 0 bass - the only fish we caught were cats at night just beyond the totally submerged wing damn.

What are the most effective Lures to use for Smallies in the Deleware

I will have some Mepps Spinners, which seem to catch almost any fish that swim in any situation.

Wacky Rigged Yammamuto - catch bass if I can find some slower flowing water

Jig head with Rubber Grub - What size/color should I pick up? I have some smaller 2" white grubs and some 1/4 ounce green jig head. Should I be looking for something bigger?

Assortment of crankbaits - not sure how effective these are in the river

Top water poppers- Again not sure how they fair in the river

Any tips would be great

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
sounds like you have a good handle on what to try.also try a tube on preferably a weedless head.

I know your partial to mepps spinners but don't discount a regular spinnerbait.I've caught some nice bass on the Susquehana so they also might work here.

I only fished that area once(Bull's Island) and caught several on topwater popppers the first half hour in the morning.

Try brighter or darker colors if musky water.Try more subtle,lighter,natural colors if clear water(watermellon seed,pumpkin,etc.)
Try everything and have fun.[up]

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I use senkos on the Big D either dead stickin on a worm hook in slow water, or with a lead jig head in faster water. Pop R's and crankbaits work realy good in the morning and evening as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have used helmegramites in the past, and caught tons of fish on them. Except they are expensive and even a small fish destroyed em.

I picked up a lure that looks like one, but it is pretty small and am not sure how well it will work in the current.

Im looking foward to getting out on the river.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
I have done really well on Bulls Island with floating rapalas and cp swing spinners

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
your going to laugh but i went rafting down the deleware river im almost positive its not where your staying but on a partly sunny day I just through yamamoto (pumpkin had purple sparkles) and managed over a dozen small mouths within 2 hours. Goodluck have fun be safe.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bring a fly setup (if your into it) with some terestrials especial when it heats up during the day.
When I was younger I used to fly fish with my uncle quite a bit. He gave me and my wife a pair of fly rods as a wedding gift, but I have only used them once in the past 7 years. Maybe I will get myself a trout stamp and see if I can still cast a fly.

·
Banned
2,514 Posts
Mites do work the best but hard 2 catch and find sometimes, troll with a rapala crawfish and a J9. if I cant get mites I will troll with them and do well

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I picked up a lure that looks like one
I fished bulls island my whole life.Try to buy more lures that look like the Hmite. use a small amount of weight(split shot) just above the mite.You will get snaged but you will catch smallies.Bring a tube/kayak go up 7 miles and drop in fish back its awesome at sun rise.I use a small popper in AM.I wish i was going.OH ya you can catch helgrimites on the under side of flat rocks in the river. Also cryfish under the rocks.Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I wish the Delaware for smallies all the time and I've found the best lure is a Senco or a Venom worm in green/pumpkin seed.

I fish the worms texas rigged with a weighted hook.

The single hook is nice because it doesn't tear up the fishes mouth. You also get less snags and the worms are really cheap.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I fish the river south of Easton and have gone almost exclusively to tubes over the last two years. I'll mix in POP-R's and sencos, but tubes have been killer lately.

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
We used to catch lots of helgramites in the north branch of the raritan and use them in the delaware. Find a stretch of water with some current and soft bottom with big rocks. Stand behind the rock with a net and lift and the current will wash most of them if they are there into your net or they will cling to the underside of the rock. Expect to get pinched if your new at catching them:D Obviously 2 feet of water is optimum lol. You can store them in your fridge withn moss/seaweed for a week.[up] Trout love them too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts