New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Small game season will open quietly
New Jersey's small game season will open quieter than ever on Saturday.

There will be plenty of shooting at rabbits, pheasants and chukar partridges, but nothing like the shots heard when about 200,000 hunters used to open the season about 30 years ago. Fox, coyote and jackrabbit hunting also begin on Saturday.

Our state may be a national leader because hunters kill more deer than rabbits here, an estimated 38,884 cottontails vs. 69,970 white-tails in 2003. How many states can say that? The estimated pheasant harvest has gone from 290,092 four years ago to 114,560 in 2003-04.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051106/SPORTS/511060317/1002

The Courier News version
http://c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051106/SPORTS01/511060381/1011

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
jackrabbit
Ever see a jackrabbit in New Jersey?

New Jersey's small game season will open quieter than ever on Saturday.
Last was pretty quiet for me. The didn't stock any birds in the area of Flatbrook where I go. I had to adapt.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I hunted every Tues and Thurs last year at Flatbrook with my brother. We limited out almost every day and on occasion when we didn't, it was usually our fault.
Between the state lands and the gun clubs I took almost 200 birds. In addition, other guys that hunted with me took close to another 125-150 over my dogs.
It was a very good year and I'm looking forward to another.[up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I did well during the week also because I moved to the fields by 3 Bridges. I normally hunt along the river but for some reason they stopped stocking birds there.

B

·
0 Posts
C'mon boys start the shooting at 8am next week and send the deer to daddy. I love to deer hunt on opening day of the bird season, with 10 minutes of the first shot there are deer everywhere, they are walking in our area with mouths open from running up the hill. So, would like to say thank you to all the bird hunters, keep driving them deer for us archery hunters[up]

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
keep driving them deer for us archery hunters
There is this one place my dad and I go on Thanksgiving every year for rabbits. It's a thick briar filled field with hardwoods all around it. Every year the same two bow hunters are there waiting for us to drive those deer out of that field to the woods! As soon as we are done hunting...they are done hunting![up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
BHC, I'll drive them to you, but I want some of the venison.

B

·
0 Posts
BHC, I'll drive them to you, but I want some of the venison
thats fair......lots of fields near me that they stock.....not sure how many bird hunters are hunting them, cause Im already in the woods, I do hear WW3 at 8 am, and then someone from group will say on the radio "HERE THEY COME" deer allover, even if I don't score I just love seeing the deer, and most likey a bear will be in the mix

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I have a buddy that use to sit in the Pine trees right next to the 3 bridges area at Flatbrook on opening day and Saturdays. Once the bird hunters started and he saw orange he would leave. The CO thought he was nuts.
BHC, I'll be up there on Saturday. We usually ride through the area you hunt. I'll look for your truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts