New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who only has his bow education certificate so he can only get a bow license right now. The Digest says "A current and valid hunting license (Bow and Arrow, Firearm or All-around
Sportsmen) is required to pursue any small
game species.. BUT---does that mean he can get a bow license and a pheasant stamp and hunt with a shotgun.

I guess the general question is can you hunt small game with a shotgun if you have just a bow and arrow license.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
ill try to answer your question to the best of my ability...he can get his shotgun license since he took some kind of saftey course...most of the courses are the same because they teach what and what isnt a safe shot which applies to all weapons...i took the shotgun course and they didnt even talk about shooting, they only taught about saftey...

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
In order to hunt with a firearm you need to take the firearm hunter's ed cl [no swearing please] (commonly referred to by everyone as the shotgun class). He can hunt small game but it must be with the bow.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I dont think he can use a shotgun or get a shotgun lisense. I had to hand in seperate hunter education certificates for each liscense. :/

The shotgun course does go over some shotgun use/safety stuff as well.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all, yeah, looks like he can hunt with his bow license, but has to use his bow.

as an aside, i'm surprised that people are allowed to use a bow to hunt small game, that would be pretty bad news at black river on a stocked saturday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts