i am new to site,looks great.
replying to march posting by icuhunt.
many tales to tell about the meadows.
i hunted no. bergen + seacaucus from mid 70's
to early 90's.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
All the towns in the Meadowlands area have a "NO DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS ORDINANCES". You will get locked up if you hunt there.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Last year my buddy got checked by a state CO while duck hunting on the Passaic river in East Hanover.The CO gave him info where to dock his boat in Seacaucus to duck hunt.He ended up going and had a good hunt.The CO also told him that people from all over the state go there to hunt.You can see duck blinds while driving down the turnpike.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
ms22...i saw that show on oln...you can see buildings and a highway in the far distance..whenever i go dirtbiking in the meadowlands i see plenty of pheasants...the ones on the edge of the feilds flush whenever i ride my dirt bike there...

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I grew up in North Bergen, and did plenty of duck, pheasant,and rabbit hunting from the early 70's until the mid 80's. I shot some real nice native birds with tails up to 24 inches. We always did well with rabbits and ducks too. I knew most of the cops and hunted with a few of them, so I never really worried about a no discharge ordinance. I don't think I would go now, it has built up too much.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I don't know if I would eat them. But I would love to find some native birds in Jersey to hunt.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I forgot about this post. Good to see some other people on this site enjoyed the great small game hunting in the meadowlands back then. I stopped hunting the meadows around the mid 80's as well.

Back when I was a kid we used to load up the stationwagons with all the beagles. There were about 5 uncles and each of them had 2 to 3 dogs each. We all had your limit of 4 rabbits each by noon. As far as the pheasants go. There were a lot of birds there, but they were very difficult to shoot (NOBODY BACK THEN HAD BIRD DOGS), since they didn't stick around for you to get a shot. And if you were lucky enough to get a good shot and made it you better hurry up and find it, because 9 out of 10 times they would hit the ground and run off. As long as you weren't by any main roads the cops wouldn't bother you either. Times have changed for the worst.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I once saw an article in an old Field & Stream (or Outdoor Life or something) about duck hunting in view of the NYC skyline. This article was real old like 1940's

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I've seen plenty of dead pheasants hit by cars through the years when I worked in the city. And also a few hunters out there. Always made me jealous. Me going to work, and them working the dogs.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I usually see pheasants right across my Giants Stadium and along the Turnpike. Must be a native population in there..

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
During the summer I take my daughter on hikes thru the nature center in the Lyndhurst.(Dekorte Park). We see pheasants almost everytime. Lots of Native Pheasants there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I currently live in Somerset County, originally from Jersey City, just up the block from Tonnele Ave.
Graduated from riding dirt bikes by the Post Office to hunting across the road. Don't know if it was totally legal, but always had my license just in case. Probably too built up now and I still wouldn't eat them, but definitely still lots of game. Also fished a couple of nice b [no swearing please] ponds in the meadows. Great memories!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Almost forgot, wood [no swearing please] hunting was also excellent,
and the rabbit numbers were incredible.

After chasing the pheasants for a few years, finally found the secret formula to harvest them much more easily, but definitely decreased the challenge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts