New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told today that during the entirety of pheasant season that all small game hunting on stocked wma land is prohibited.

I reread the regs and I saw that a stamp is required for all those in possession of pheasant or quail.

It also said that firearm hunting in the "beginning of November" is prohibited on stocked wmas.

The fellow who I talked to earlier said that meant that FROM the beginning of November, THROUGH then end of the season one may NOT squirrel hunt or rabbit hunt at Black River, for example. At minimum, one MUST possess a pheasant stamp even if that individual is NOT pheasant hunting.

I read the digest but it is unclear. Advice?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean, personally I wouldn't bust brush and shoot rabbits while people are hunting pheasants like WWIII. Just doesn't seem safe. But shooting tree rats in the trees? Seems fine to me. But he gave me the impression that I was breaking the law and the wardens would jam me up.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
It's legal, I do it all the time. I call myself an opportunist hunter. Pheasant, tree rats, rabbits, ducks, whatever is legal. I have all my permits and know all the regs by heart. You just can't deer hunt and small game at same time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like some one was joshing you to keep you out of "their" public hunting grounds.

Oh, don't forget! It's also illegal to hunt deer in November and December when mazz is in the woods - its the law! :D
I think it is possible. He seemed pretty on the level. We talked for a while. Since the digest reads like the 'Handbook of the Recently Deceased' sometimes, I thought it was pretty plausible.

The last thing he said to me was, "The wardens will jam you up and tell you it is your responsibility to know the regs. They figure if you're out here without a stamp, you're lying to them when you say, "Oh, I'm squirrel hunting."

It seems pretty thin to accuse me of pheasant hunting illegally without a stamp when I don't have a dog, don't have bird loads and am not in possession of any birds...no?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Depending on the day of the week your out you'd have your choice of woodchuck, squirrel, rabbit, coyote, fox and crow(mon.thurs.fri.sat.) now if you have stamps for waterfowl and pheasant you could hunt all of the above with #4 non-toxic loads.(biggest size shot allowed in the woods)
(

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
he was pulling your leg, go hunt, just don't even look at the pheasant and quail. nothing any one can do. no warden will bust you for squirrel or rabbit hunting unless you have a bird or they see you chase or shoot at one. that would be like saying you cant deer hunt because you might shoot a bird with the bow, no difference.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From the digest:

The restriction prohibiting firearm hunting on
wildlife management areas on the day prior to the
opening of the regular small game season for pheas-
ants and quail
is rescinded.
Pheasants are stocked
after dark, precluding interaction between Fish
and Wildlife personnel and hunters or the chance
of prematurely harvesting a pheasant before the
season opens.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
From the digest:

The restriction prohibiting firearm hunting on
wildlife management areas on the day prior to the
opening of the regular small game season for pheas-
ants and quail
is rescinded.
Pheasants are stocked
after dark, precluding interaction between Fish
and Wildlife personnel and hunters or the chance
of prematurely harvesting a pheasant before the
season opens.
yea it says you can hunt because now because they stock after dark so you are good to go anytime but sundays

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
when in doubt call f&g. you will get a straight answer from them, but in this case that guy was dead wrong or bs'ing you

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.