New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
You will get 20 recommendations ... and they all mean nothing for your gun. Slug guns and rifled barrels are incredibly individually fickle on what shoots best out of them. Your ONLY option is to buy a box of each "highly recommended" brand and TEST THEM IN YOUR GUN.

Me, personally ... Federal with the Barnes bullet, Hornady SST's, and Winchester Platinum Tips or Partition Golds. A lot of guys are seeing good groups with the Winchesters ... and they hit like a ton of bricks. My slug gun likes them best. (for what it's worth) LOL

One last thought, there's no reason to punish yourself with 3" slugs; 2-3/4" are more than sufficient.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
In my newer remington 11-87 fully rifled barrel the remington copper slugs in 2 3/4 inch work best. The slower one - not the 1900 fps. At least include them to try. I agree with iron duke.

My older 11-87 with iron sight and rifled choke tube shot federal sabot slugs better.

So I agree with Iron Duke.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I have an 870 Rifled slug gun with the 23" Barrel every slug I put through it it shot well. I Decided on the Winchester Platinum 400 gr.. Good luck

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have an 870 rifled slug gun and i shoot the Winchester Supreme partition gold 2 3/4. I would never shoot anything else.[up]

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
My first question in response to yours is: Is it a 20 guage or a 12 guage? the 870 comes in both- and I have both.

As for my 12 guage, it loves the 2 3/4" 1 oz Barnes Expanders by Federal. I have used them exclusively for over 7 years. But as others have said, each shotgun is different, and reacts differently to shells. So I would site in your gun, and buy 1 box of about 5 or 6 different types of slugs, and try them out-see how your gun reacts(I now I'm talking about $200.00 in ammo)

As for my 20 guage, the load options are few and far between. generally, the two prominant loads for the 20 guage slug gun are the Hornady SST's and the Lighfield sabot slugs. I use both out of mine. I use the Hornady's when I hunt with the gun, but when my daughter uses it, we switch out to the Lightfields-and adjust the scope accordingly. The Lightfield is a low recoil slug meaning you can place the but of the gun against your crotch, pull the trigger, and still sing like a barritone. These are good slugs for guys who "fear" the discharge of a slug gun and twich in anticipation of the gun going off(adversly affecting accuracy). The bad side of the Lighfields, are that they are a 100 yard slug. Nothing More-They drop below 1000 FPS at about 100 yards, and drop in elevation fast beyond 120 yards. The SST's on the otherhand are a hard packing slug with great sped out to 150 yards-but be prepared for some serious recoil when using them.

Most of all-You need to spend HOURS on the range shooting-You need to know what your gun is capable of, and what you are capable of. More importantly, you must achieve that level of proficiency where-a quick accurate shot becomes second nature-a habit, that you can't break-that way, when the time comes, you'll be right on target[up]

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
Winchester BRI's are super accurate in my Mossberg.

·
Banned
4,539 Posts
buy five or six boxes of the leading brands (cause you want to be able to find them when you pick one).

get the gun on paper at 50 yards with the cheapest brand...then shoot them all, make sure you let the gun cool between brands...

Choose the one that shoots the tightest group. If it's close go with the highest velocity (flatest shooting) slug.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
You will get 20 recommendations ... and they all mean nothing for your gun. Slug guns and rifled barrels are incredibly individually fickle on what shoots best out of them. Your ONLY option is to buy a box of each "highly recommended" brand and TEST THEM IN YOUR GUN.
That's the best advice you got! I have your same gun and shoot a slug not yet mentioned. I've tried several others mentioned in my gun and they don't shoot nearly as well as what I now use. No two rifled barrel shotguns are alike using sabot slugs. Decide what velocity and bullet you want and buy all in that category and take them to the range. Bring Advil for your shoulder:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.