New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is like "blondes vs. redheads", but let me ask.

I've been shooting Lightfields for a while out of my Mossberg 500.

Anyone got a slug that shoots well out of a 500 pump that they'd recommend if I wanted to try something new?

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I use Lightfields also I have a remington 1187 with a hastings rifled barrel. I can shoot 1 inch grooups at 100 yards using 2 3/4 inch shell. I find when you go to a 3 inch slug you loose accuracy I chose to stay with the 2 3/4 cause it works. I know there are some new slugs out for this year and every time something new comes out I try it. I have not found anything better then my lightfields as of yet.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I have a 870 express remington with their cantilever rifled barrel and the federal barnes expanders 2 3/4 1 oz slugs shoot about 1 to 1 1/2" groups at 100

I didnt even try the 3" yet but have heard they hit harder so you may develop a flinch and they are less accurate.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
JB..Try the winchester Platinums..They hit hard and accurate out to 175yds..[up] Best slug I have used so far..

·
Registered
949 Posts
I shoot an 870. I always used Winchester Supreme. I thought they were discontinued when they made the Partion Gold. I could not buy the Supremes anywhere so I tried the Gold. I could not get them to pattern. The first five I shot from my gun was going right through a tree that I used for a backstop. I then tried Lightfields and they shoot good. Never tried the Platinums.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
I have a mossburg 500 and I still haven't figured out what to shoot out of it I think I will try lightfields if that what Woj says he shoots out of his. I have an 870 with a hastings barrel and it shoots Barnes expanders very well.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i know there are other guys around here with 500's that shoot lightfields too. i just don't remember who.

·
Registered
545 Posts
i shoot lightfields out of the 11-87 with the hastings barrel- shot deer up to 100 yards so have not had the need to change :)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I have a rem 1100 and i shoot the rem copper solids 2 3/4 in and i love them i tried the lightfields but the group was better with the solids.

B

·
0 Posts
My main shotgun is my Remington 11-87 SPS and it loves the 2-3/4" Lightfields. My Mossberg 835, and 500 also love the Lightfields. 3 of my friends also have the Mossberg 500 and they also use Lightfields

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Remington 870 fully rifled barrel. I shoot Federal Premium 2 3/4 Shell w 1 OZ Sabots. I'm sure the gun is capable of 2" groups at 100 yards , just not when I'm shootin it!

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
There seems to be three or four favorites that will shoot in any gun. Ideally you get lucky and the one with the best ballistics performance also happens to give your gun the best accuracy.

The top four are:

Winchester Partition gold
Lightfield Hybrid Exp
Remmington Copper Solid
Remmington Core Lokts

In terms of down range performance, they rank from best to worst:

1).Remington Core Lokt Ultra's/ Winchester Partitions
2).Remington Copper solids
3).Lightfields Exp

To give an idea of how far behind the Core Lokts/Partions the Lightfields are think about this fact.

12 ga Remington Core Lokt sighted 2 in high at 50 yds = 0 inches at 150 yds

12 ga Lightfield Exp sighted 2 in high at 50 yds = -9.7 inches at 150 yds

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
I like Rem copper solids and Lightfields out of my fully rifled Rem 1100 slug gun.The last deer I took with my slug gun was at a ranged 140 yards.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I am a huge fan of the Winchester Partition Gold .....Huge...I have shot them all out of my Rem 11-87 and this slug can shoot easily out to 150 yrds...at 1900 feet per second. My results are awsome....They group well and they have been devastating on deer.....Of course, you need a rifled barrel for such success......Dave

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Oh yea....the 2 3/4 shhot much better than the 3 inch....and you still have more than enough knockdown power...Much more....[up]

1 - 20 of 52 Posts