New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a discussion about modern sabot technology and slug gun shooting on another board. Of course the discussion centered around which sabots were best for long range shooting.(125yds+)

The other individual stated that he was thinking about purchasing a new 20ga slug gun particularly for this purpose.

After composing my response to him I felt that it would be worth sharing the data that I composed with board as it can be quite enlightening....JC

I agree that the technology has come a long way. However the most important factor in longe range slug shooting,(one that always seems to be overlooked), is wind drift.
When discusing 150yd shots with a slug gun most hunters know they are dealing with a minimum of a few inches of elevation drop. Few are aware that a crosswind as light as 10mph will actually have more effect on the slugs path then gravity.

This is the reason why 12ga slug guns are a much better choice for hunters who may anticipate taking shots over 125 yds. The 12ga slugs are more accurate when it comes to shooting in a crosswind.

Here is a representative comparison of wind drift (based on a 10 mph crosswind), between 12ga and 20ga shells.(As a point of reference, where I hunt in Nj the average wind speed on any given day in November is 10.2 mph)
I will use the data for Federal Barnes Expanders. Keep in mind these projectiles are relatively wind resistant when compared to most other manufacturers sabots. Most other sabots would show en even larger difference between the wind drift of the 12ga and 20 ga projectiles.

This data is only published by Federal out to 125yds. However it is clearly obvious how quickly the 20ga starts negatively diverging off its flight path past 100 yds. The difference between the 12 ga and 20 ga would be far more pronounced past 150yds.

50 75 100 125
12ga 328gr .9 1.8 3.1 4.8
20ga 328gr 1.1 2.3 3.9 6.1

B

·
0 Posts
I like them both, so within 100yds. either one will do the job, that little 20 is deadly

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Just out of curiosity how many guys have killed deer past 125 yds with their slug gun. If so, what gun and slug combo was used? What type of hit? What were field conditions and how far for retrieval?

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, within 100yd both have everything you need.

Even at 100yds the wind drift numbers are pretty shocking though. Keep in mind a slug such as the lightfields is closer to 7 inches of wind drift at 100yds!

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not past a 100yds for me....

The farthest I have taken a deer was last year. I took a small buck out around 80-90yds. Remington Core Lokts. Both front shoulders dropped out from underneath it. When it tried to run it did a snow plow face first through the field. Its head fell to one side causing it to go in a circle as it pushed through the grass. It made about a 20yd loop then expired less than a few feet from where it was originally hit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts