New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just heard back from my father's buddy who butchered the buck (half rack) I tracked down and shot during shotgun season.

Apparently he dug a slug out of the front shoulder. He saved it for me, so hopefully I can get my hands on it and post some pics.

Anyone have any idea how a slug could not penetrate the shoulder?

Only thing I can think of is a low gauge shotgun or a muzzleloader with a low powder charge. Maybe some weak 20 gauge slug load? Honestly no clue.

Either that or someone was shooting incredibly far and got "lucky" to hit the shoulder. I can't imagine shooting far in these woods in the first place, so their luck would have to be borderline impossible to shoot that kind of distance and hit a deer in the shoulder.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Are there any open areas around like corn or grassy fields? A 100 yd shot could be had in these types of areas. Another reason why could depend on the type of slug it is. If it is a hollow point, that would tend to not blow threw an animal because it mushrooms out. Just my $0.02.

David

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Just guessing, but if the slug hit another part of the body &/or the other shoulder first, the slug may not have had enough power behind it to p [no swearing please] through the shoulder, especially if shot from a distance of over 100 yds.

OR

If the slug hit a branch or other object, or if it ricocheted off of the ground and then hit the shoulder, this could lead to overall lack of penetration/p [no swearing please] through of the slug.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, all of these things are possible.

100 yard shots are not likely but possible.
Hitting brush or branches is almost a certainty on any shot over 30 yards.

Perhaps the bullet got deflected or slowed down by brush, but I find it incredible that it still hit the shoulder.

Can't wait to see the bullet.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Just a question, which shoulder did it hit? The entrance side or exit side? That could make a difference.

David

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
The slug may have been slowed down by brush or a tree branch.
I would have believed until this year. My brother shot a pretty good sized buck in Ohio, 85 yards away, 1/4ing away. The slug hit about 3/4 back and traveled all the way through the deer, stopping in the left shoulder. Oh yeah, that was AFTER smashing through a tree the size of a Pepsi can. The tree was shredded...dead center hit that left it in splinters, and the top just hanging. I still have the slug on my kitchen counter, it's a solid hunk of lead, very little mushrooming. He used a Winchester Hi-Impact slug, 3 inch shells.

I think a hollow point slug, like the Partition Gold's I shoot, would have come apart.

Matt, is it possible it is a ML bullet, maybe a low powder charge?

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
David:

I'm honestly not sure, I'll try to get more info when I pick up the bullet. My guess is it is the entrance side.

Doug:

The thing is, I'm amazed it was a slug. The most likely stand hunt that would have shot a deer in that area was not there that morning, which is why I suspect it was the gun clubs. But for the life of me I can't imagine slinging slugs at a deer running full bore through that brush at the Mill, nevermind trying to get crosshairs on him through a scope. Of course he could have been shooting open sights.

It certainly could be a ML bullet as well, but again I can't imagine a poster shooting an ML during drives.

But I am speculating, it could have been some other stand hunter elsewhere and the deer traveled, but nobody was around that morning as my buddy drove through, so no clue where it could have come from.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Matt, did it have to be shot during a drive? Wasn't ML season open the week before in that zone? Could the deer have come from private ground nearby, where someone was using a ML that day? I just have a hard time believing a slug wouldn't go through a shoulder...I shot one through a '51 Plymouth once. ;)

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL, I don't know. I saw the blood in the beds and I'm not sure if he would have made it for a day like that. He got up and bedded down again within 10 yards, both beds having good blood in them but one of them looking like it was up toward the neck but now that I think about it, could certainly be shoulder.

I don't think he'd bleed for that long, this is a week later. The wound would have clotted by then or he would have died. I'm pretty certain it was from that morning otherwise he would have clotted overnight or died already.

G

·
When my taxidermist was skinning out my 2003 NJ bear, he found the slug. It was behind the bear's right shoulder, I kept it.

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
or did anyone think that somebody could of shot at the deer out of a window....there are alot of gusy that shoot deer under the light....thats how you can get your 100 yard shot...out a window in a wide open field....no fun in doing that and is highly illegal but people do it...

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lou, could have been...this was in Colliers Mills...several fields in the area. But what would they have been shooting to not break the shoulder and put the deer down?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ive seen the same thing happen to my friends deer that he shot. The deer was quartering away at 50 yards and he hit it square in the shoulder. The deer ran 150yards and laid down we watched it for fifteen minutes and it still had its head up. We did a stalk and finished the deer off. The slug spent all its energy on the shoulder and did not p [no swearing please] through.The ammunition he was using was a 2-3/4 tactical load.. Those are the loads that police officers use in their shotguns.

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
Yea they would of probably been shooting to put the deer down but at 100-150 yards away with a slug. Who knows who accurate the shot is going to be.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No I still haven't met up with my dad's buddy to get the slug. I'll see him sometime this spring when we get together to do some fishing, find out the full story in detail then, amidst hookin a few! [up]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts