New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I am new to this sport, I am not without opinion on the future in our Garden State. However, being relativly(sp) new, I am not familiar with the term "slob hunter" that I read in some posts. Would this be considered an unethical or uneducated, sloppy hunter?

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Uneducated--you're new. Everyone has to learn. Hunting courtesy and safety is 100% common sense. Obey posted land, keep your muzzle in a safe direction, be sure of your target, etc.

Slobs are folks who ignore the common sense/common courtesy. Tresspass, litter, sit in or steal your stand, set up right next to you, road hunt, jacklight, exceed the bag limit, etc.

They're the 1% that hurts all of us.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand. I ran into a fella/hunter down in Salem my first year deer hunting last year drinking beer in the dead end that lead to the farm the club leased. He accused me of tresspassing. He asked me for my club ID, which I had. I asked him for his which he didn't have. I said, "How do I know you're not tresspassing". After a short heated discussion he headed off into the woods with a can in beer in his back pocket. Phone calls to the club manager didn't get returned for two weeks. Although, I figured out a way to get my phone calls returned faster. Leave a message that you have a new member with cash and he wants to join today. You'll get a return call back within the hour. Needless to say I'm no longer with that club.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The very same, lefty. How do you handle these folks when you run into them. I didn't want to get into a fist fight with this guy, my oldest son was with me. How do you deal with these guys that want to do, what they want to do, and F it up for someone else?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You should have call CO, you had you son with you. Your safety and his is more important then be associated with the club. After the hunt drinks are fine:)

Ryan

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
I hunted a stand the first year in our club on preimer property and the persons stand that it was was not in the club any longer got kicked out a few years before. This person had a guest p [no swearing please] and got pissed that I cleaned the beer cans up from around that stand. That is a slob hunter leaving trash in the bush.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Stronski, was the the Greene farm, or the Stockington Road land? I used to hunt the Stockington piece, and the pastures next to it. Me and a few other guys had the Stockington piece and the 170 acres next to it before Jim got the Stockington property...it was great hunting before all the pressure from the club drove the deer nocturnal. I understand the concept of the club, and Jim is a nice guy, but there were just too many people hunting the Stockington piece the first year he had it. I think he understood that and has taken steps to reduce pressure on the lands, which has made some people angry, but hey, you can't please everyone.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Green Farm. Saw lots of deer sign. Place had potential. Too many guys down there not following the rules.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
After going to my stand last week I saw where another hunter followed my tracks and hunted the tree next to mine. Once up in the tree I noticed a wrapper on the ground down wind from both trees. I thought that was pretty inconsiderate. When I got down after the day was over I went over and picked it up. By chance I unraveled it and found it was the same granola bar wrapper that I had been eating the day befor It must have come out of my pocket while I was pulling out my cell. I was that slob hunter. So sometimes mistakes can happen. But not often.:) Or maybe the other guy was eating the same kind of granola bar.:D;)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There's a decent amount on one side and back up towards where the sign-in book was. One one side of the fields, hunting was off limits. Different owner or something. Like I wrote. Saw some good sign. One small buck and a few does. 100's of turkeys. Too many problems though. Felt uncomfortable going out there. Never knew who was going to har [no swearing please] me next.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I refer to it as Slobgun season as that is when most of the violations for Trespassing take place. It is the minority that give the majority a bad name. I love gun hunting, but NJ 6 day is more af a pain in the [no swearing please] for me. It is hard for me to ever enjoy it. Rifle hunting out of state is much more enjoyable for me.

Bowhunting will always be my first choice though[up]

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I am a member of American Whitetails also and we had problems during 6 day with non-members jumping out of there cars and driving the property. One guy had the balls to even talk to a club member on the property!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Killer, will you rejoin next year. What did Jim say when you told him? Is the hunting days limit enforced?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
South Harrison Twp. Private land.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.