New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is how I did my mount.

First grab a cold beer(soda for you youngsters)and get a razor knife and hunting knife. Remove all hide and as much meat as possible.

Prepare a pot or metal bucket with water and jing suggested borax and baking soda.

Cook the skull to soften the flesh and gently remove all meat.This process takes the most time.Cook and clean, cook and clean. I use a filet knife,large flathead screwdriver, a small wire brush and a flat piece of 1/4 wide metal.
It will start to look like this.

When done it will look like this.

This is it in a nutshell.There are more things I have to do before I can "hang it" If you want to give this a try, I can send you detailed steps[up]

B

·
0 Posts
looks good......how long does the process take, and what do you use to get it so white?

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bow, I started at 11am and just finished. Once it dries for a few days I'll soak in a bleach/water solution to whiten it up even more

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
You didn't waste any time getting that done. Killed Saturday,hanging on the wall Monday. Nice Job!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Very nice. After it's clean peroxide also works great to whiten it up. I usally let it soak for a couple of days but be sure not to get it on the rack.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Looks good! When I do my european mounts I use peroxide to bleach it. After it is boiled down to your liking, drain and CLEAN the pot. Then start with fresh water and bring it to a boil. Then dump a 32 oz bottle of perozide in and let boil for apx 20 min. Do not boil it in the peroxide for more than 30 min! or the bones will start to deteriorate. The skull will be pure white when finished.

·
11,226 Posts
My wife doesn't like the skull mounts so I'll have to stick to regular mounts or antler mounts only!! The skull freaks her out alittle!! LOL! I love the head mounts so if I get a nice 8 looks like I'll have to shell out the big buck$ to get the head done... Oh darn.. ;):D[up]

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jim, beer is ALWAYS a part of every process:D
B [no swearing please] Ale would have worked as well woj[up]

I have used both the peroxide and the bleach but prefer the bleach.

Absolutley right about the chemicals msmorris and bownj..[up]
Thanks for the comments.:)

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Great job jjoe on a nice lookin buck. I was told by a taxidermist to soak the skull in colman fuel oil for 2 weeks, then use tide with color bleach for 2 days,Bleach will make the bone flake with time.Thats how I did mine, It's on the photo board.
Next time I do one I need to get the flesh eating beatles.I heard they work well.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
My preference is towards Perioxide, I've been told that bleach can break down the bone. To keep the perioxide/bleach off the antlers, bring the level of bleaching agent to the lowest point of the antler, then lay paper towels over the rest of top of the skull. They will wick the bleaching agent onto the rest of the skull, but not onto the antlers.
Have you found a Mounting panel ? Try Mackenzie Taxidermy supplies
http://www.mckenziesp.com/mcktaxid.asp
they will sell directly to you, with no minimum order . I got these panels ( $12 ) from them last year when I did my deer up for the year.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts