New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a search on the site but didnt come up with anything recent

Before I go to any of my taxidermists I thought I would check on here to see if anyone does skull cleaning? I have a basket 6pt I shot last night and would like to do a euro mount with it. I have done skull cleaning before but I just dont have the time right now to do anything with it. If anyone on here does it with beetles or does it alot PM with a price. Not looking for anything special actually if you could just get it cleaned I will whiten seal and mount it myself.

I live near flemington NJ so im looking for someone relatively close

·
Registered
63 Posts
No need to pay for it. Cut the head off right below the jawline - cover the base of the antlers with some tape or aluminum foil - dig a hole in your yard deep enough where the entire head is covered w/ dirt. Put a bucket over the antlers with a rock over it to keep the critters away. Check it in a few months, all flesh will be removed. It's way better than boiling, no smell and does not deteriorate the integrity of the skull. I like to remove the skin, makes the process much quicker. When you pull it out of the ground and it's complete, just hose it off and you're good to go!

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
I'm in edison. I pled you,, deerslayer you are wrong. You can't just burry a skull and say it's done,you still hand to degrease it and whiten it,only now you have minerals in the bone so it is much more work. If you want clean bone do not burry,either macerate or bug clean.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Catfish - he specifically stated that he did not want anything special...I've been doing it for years. DDS, give it a try you'll be satisfied with the finished product.

·
Registered
157 Posts
For staters you dont have a few months.It is mid Oct already.The first frost will be here before you know it.Dont burry it.If you want a good looking skull preserved than do it right.Like Catfish said and Ringwood Boy.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
That's fine that you been doing it for years, it don't mean it's right.bury you got grease and minerals embedded..boil it and you cook the grease in and destroy bone,I get 5-10 guys a year that did one or the other and there were times I couldn't fix it.to do it proper you can used bugs or macerate it,either way you still have to degrease it.then you have to whiten with a peroxide, not the white cream junk it has oil in it and doesn't get skull as white even when heated at high temps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts