New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been considering the thought of going for my 6 pack lisc. Can anyone provide some insight on the best way to obtain the lisc. Online, Classroom ect. Any one have any recomendations???

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea Im not sure if it did. I have been looking into the mairners learning system (online classes) they still describe it as six pack.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The on-line courses are only good if you are an independent learner and can focus on the material. If you're like me and can get distracted or will procrastinate than I would recommend a classroom environment. The material can be difficult and the help of an instructor or classmates can make the difference. For example, knot tying is part of the curriculum. Being a lineman by trade I already know how to tie the knots and was able teach others the tricks of trade. (much better than the instructor) There were also sailors in my class who helped me understand the sailing rules better. These are things you will lose in an on-line course. That being said, your the only one who can decide what is easier for you.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Do they still have 6 pack lic? Thought it changed
Not that I'm aware, because That's what I have. Although the offical name is OUPV Operator of Unispected Passenger Vessel

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did the fat weekend and could not imagine doing it online. It was a lot of information in a short time. I never really "got it" until I took the masters upgrade classes which was a great refresher for the OUPV exam. [patcheye]

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Sea School. Fantastic track record of success. I would take the time off and do it mon-fri 9-5. That's whay I did, but that was a while ago.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sea School. And if you can get the documentation go right for a 50 ton or 100 ton.

Also get a towing endorsement it's easy and opens extra doors.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
i did mine online (online mariners)...it was tough doing that and going to school full time. if thats the route you decide to take or have any questions PM me

1 - 13 of 13 Posts