New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
:D When I was getting off of the ferry in Newfoundland, an announcement was made to "watch out for Moose while driving". It was pitch dark, no lights on the highways. All I thought was "Oh shit, all I have to do is hit a moose." I found the nearest motel (about 35 miles) and slept through the night. All throughout my drive, signs were posted about how many moose were killed the previous year (it was like 700). I'm told that when the roads ice up and get salted, the moose like to lick the salt.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
When i was in Nova Scotia, i was talking to some local and I mentioned I was planning on driving to another city on a highway that evening. he said something like "I wouldn't drive there tonight if I was you". I asked why and he said There's a lot of moose and they like to stand in the road, they,re black and hard to see and if you hit one, they're so tall, it will definitely come thru the windshield and probably kill you. I went anyway but probably the first time in my life I actually drove 55 on a highway.

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
When i was in Nova Scotia, i was talking to some local and I mentioned I was planning on driving to another city on a highway that evening. he said something like "I wouldn't drive there tonight if I was you". I asked why and he said There's a lot of moose and they like to stand in the road, they,re black and hard to see and if you hit one, they're so tall, it will definitely come thru the windshield and probably kill you. I went anyway but probably the first time in my life I actually drove 55 on a highway.
Was in northern Vermont by the New Hampshire border about 10 years ago with my wife. We went to dinner at some out-of-the-way restaurant, and didn't head back to the place we were staying 'til after dark.

The only way back was a twisting two lane highway in the middle of the deep, dark woods. No street lights & a lot of moose in the area. We ended up tailgaiting a logging truck all the way back. I figured if he hits one, at least he'll act like an offensive lineman and let me squeak through without contact. [ko]

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I've seen 2 moose, both in VT when I was in college. One I thought FOR SURE was a horse standing in the middle of the access road to Killington, but boy was I wrong. I waited the moose out. Some J/O with NY plates in a giant SUV started honking at it like a crazy person. The moose gave him the dirtiest look!

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
In Alaska there are signs on all the highways with the numbers of how many moose were hit that year on that highway. There are giant red smears on all the roads. You see moose jump accross the roads in front of you like deer jumping accross route 206.. I was amazed.. I could not count how many moose I saw in 9 days. Or how many of those giant red smears I saw in the same 9 days..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.