New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Deer Antler Wildlife Elk Reindeer
This buck just started showing up on camera. I didn't even know he was in the area till I seen him come into my mock scrape last night. 15 yard shot and I blew it. Hit him a little lower than I wanted to but thought it was going to be ok. Arrow was full of blood. Had some good tracking blood also. Tracked him for 1200 yards and finally lost blood last night around midnight. I have to get permission to go onto next property so I can start doing circles and looking for him. Never lost an archery deer in my 20 years of hunting. Like I said Sick to my stomach.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
If you hit him that low, could just be a flesh wound..
I did it one time and blood was all over the place so I figured I was going to find him, wound up never finding him an got on trail cam that following winter with a huge scar by his chest.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Well u can rule out a hear shot and double long. Set would have died in under 20 seconds. That leaves a flesh wound most likely or u just nicked one lung in which case he probably dead. Were u on ground or elevated?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I'm thinking if you pushed him 1200 yards, then he probably went another 1200. I know it's hard to do with the big boys, but backing out after you bump them from their 1st bed is always the best bet. If he went that far without bedding, then it likely wasn't't a lethal hit. Good luck in your grid search, hope you find him.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If he traveled over a click undisturbed chances are he is alive. A few years ago same thing happened to me. I thought I made a low show, and then found only some of my fletching had blood while the rest was clean. Flesh wounds happen, and I have taken bucks with clearly defined arrow scars on the back and lower chest. Don't beat yourself up, you will probably encounter this guy again...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. I went back and was unable to get access to next property. Lady said her kids ride bikes back there and she didn't want anyone hunting there. I explained I wasn't hunting just looking for a wounded animal. Still didn't understand and said no. Thanks to everyone that reached out thru P'S. Much appreciated

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Gotta love paranoid people*Shame she wouldn't let you at least look for it,but that's N.J. Had the same thing happen to me on a buck in 2004*If it went that far,sounds like a flesh wound to me*

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.