New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok figured I'd spark some debate. Here it goes 11 yo shooting a 243 with 100 grain bullets under 200 yards from a solid rest. On a broadside deer. Do you have him put the crosshairs on the shoulder or find the shoulder and move back an inch or two.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Although 243 is a nice flat shooting round 100 gr.will not pack enough force to break down (shoulders) on a good sized deer. Send it in the vitals and depending on the jacket of bullet it will go through and leave a nice blood trail.Other option on the neck where it meets torso quarter down.But you better be agood shot for that one, not adviseable on a 11 yr old.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Hit a doe high shoulder yesterday. She dropped like a ton of bricks. But right before she expired, she let out about a 3 to 4 second deep loud groan. Almost like a very long deep grunt. Never ever heard that before and I dont think I ever want to hear that again. That one got to me a little [rofl]

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Right behind the shoulder. That light .243 bullet will break up pretty good when it hits shoulder bone mass and ruin quite a bit of meat. I've had a similar issue with my .25-06 so that is why I say this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.