New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi hunters,

Finally get my summit climber. I live in Jersey city.

Try to pick a frost to try my climber. But since the season has started. I don't want to ruin anyone's hunting. Thinking if I can practice climber in a non hunting area like south orange reservation. Will I get trouble by doing that? Or will make others upset. Anyone did that before? Any legal issue?
Any comment, advice....?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
If you practice at a WMA or State Forest, pick a tree near the parking area or close to the side of the road. No need to venture deep into the woods to practice with it and you shouldn't disturb anyone near the parking lot or road.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
Yes practice! preferably with someone watch you the first time. I have used climbers for years and when I switched to an X stand climber I practiced in a buddies back yard to get used to it. They all have their little quirks and rhythm that works and its better to figure that out in daylight with a friend to help. I actually go to lunch there and have thought of the same thing. I am not sure what they could do besides ask you to leave ( as long as you don't have a weapon.) You also need to practice pulling your stuff up and securing it. you will be surprised how lost you feel until you figure out where to hang your stuff ( within reach but out of your way too

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
If you practice in the wrong area you may have people calling the police reporting someone hunting illegally, or that you are damaging the trees with the stand. I would go to a WMA and find a straight tree near the parking area and practice there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Once you feel comfortable doing it in daylight, get up early or stay up late and practice i n the dark. From on your back to up the tree and down again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just give your guys a update. I tried a couple of time during day and early morning. I didn't get anything yet. But climber itself. I feel more comfortable to use it. It is not that tough and unsafe if I pick the right tree.

Thank you All!

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
Just keep at it. The more you use it the more comfortable you'll be with it. I broke out my climber this season after not using it for few years and I have to say. I was little rusty. Lol Best thing to do is get a consistent system of how you set up, come down and pack up. It make things go much smoother.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
Practice being quiet with it and have a system to pack it up and unpack it
Utility poles tend to be covered in tar and stink and slip I would try to use a tree.
It takes a little getting use to with how tight and judging how much the tree diameter lessens at the top or height you want to be at.
I use my pull up line to wrap around my stand when I'm packing it in and out to keep it from clinking around and I make it 30 feet long so I know if I feel that tug while I'm climbing I went to high.
The opertinitys are endless with a climber your not stuck hunting the same spot all the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts