New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should have some info on the up coming game code for you guys in the next few days. Have a UBNJ Council meeting tomorrow and a State Fed meeting on Friday.

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bank-A-Doe is a done deal from what I'm told. Scott Ellis (F&G Council Chairman) told me that at the Garden State Deer Classic.

B

·
0 Posts
Well I would hope for AR stateeide, a bear season, cut back of the extended shotgun season, and a stop to the unlimited antlerless deer harvest

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The F&G Council was considering cutting the late firearms season back to the end of January, from what I heard.

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There will be a bear hunt in the Code, we'll just have to see if we have one.

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Game Code Committee will be making their recommendations to the F&G Council on Tuesday 2/22 at Assunpink WMA. The F&W web site should have the meeting time, and the meetings are always open to the public.

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bank-A-Doe is in.
Youth Archery Day is in.

Wasn't able to make the meeting Tuesday. I have a confrence call tonight with some people & I might be able to glean some more info out of them.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
What is this bank a doe thing. How hard do they have to make all the rules. There job is to manage game not a lottery system. Although, it probable has that much money. Here my 2 cents.

1) early bow: 1 doe, 1 buck 3pt. to a side no 5pt.or less.
2) trophy bow: 4pt. to a side, 1 doe
3) muzzleloader: 1 buck 3pt. to a side, 1 doe
4) shotgun: 3pt. to a side
5) doe only: 5 weekdays & 5 weekends per year 1 doe.

If you shoot a button buck then you lose a buck tag.
I know there will be less hunters checking in there button bucks, but they should be turned in by anyone. This is in my opinion a good balance of the herd and QDM which I'm a member of. I don't agree with all their codes but, a majority. How many deer does one need. I no that in todays world 4 is plenty for my family. An with this system. you could harvest 8. This would allow other hunters the land to hunt other game without messing up the deer hunters. IE (upland bird, small game, waterfowl, etc.)

Till our trails cross,

WW

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1) early bow: 1 doe, 1 buck 3pt. to a side no 5pt.or less.
2) trophy bow: 4pt. to a side, 1 doe
3) muzzleloader: 1 buck 3pt. to a side, 1 doe
4) shotgun: 3pt. to a side
5) doe only: 5 weekdays & 5 weekends per year 1 doe
Did you send this to the Fish & Game Council?

Everybody who favors antler restrictions needs to contact the F&G Council & the Division. It seems like they only hear from people who don't like it, and are considering scraping the program.

Bank-A-Doe was something that we requested. If you shoot 2 does in the early season, you can apply one to your permit requirement. So you can hunt a buck during permit season(rut) and not have to worry about having to take a doe first (in EAB Zones).

·
11,226 Posts
How about this. 3 bucks total!
Bow 1 buck
Permit bow 1 buck
Muzzleloader 2 bucks
Shotgun 2 bucks
Here is the catch...You can use any of these combonations to harvest no more then 3 bucks. The second and third buck must be 4 points to a side. No restrictions on the first buck. This gives all hunters a taste of what they want. The non-trophy hunters still get the satisfaction of being able to take a spike or four but are limited to one. Then they must search for a better buck or doe. This should allow more young bucks to make it till next year for better racks for the horn hunters! Balance means taking a little of everything not just mature bucks! The doe situation is another story. 3 doe should be the limit but only in area's that can stand to lose more doe. Some areas should be 1 and others 2. Just my .02

·
11,226 Posts
It would have to be for all seasons. Again I think it should be a total of 3 doe and 3 bucks a year! No matter what weapons you use 3 is the magic number! This gives you a shot at six deer! If you can't make the meat of six deer last the year for you well YOU EAT TOO MUCH! LOL!!! Bank-a-doe sounds good also. The target should be to get the hunter in the earn a buck zones to take a doe first! If you have taken two already then your earn a buck obligation has been filled for two weapons or seasons.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
I think the unlimited doe should be reduced, but not to only one doe. The State is still trying to reduce the herd in some area's, and stabilize it in others. You need to allow some liberalization of doe tags, but not unlimited deer for so long.

I say issue 2 doe tags with each license/permit, and make people buy extra tags so they have to pay to use more of the resource. Even if it's only $5.00 a tag, it's a little more revenue for the Division, and may slow down some of the 20-deer-a-year killers.

I also like the idea of one any-buck tag, and two additonal quality buck tags. Kinda like Delaware does it. I think that it should only be one per season for shotgun too, like it is for bow and ML. That way, you can kill three bucks with any combination of weapons you choose; ie fall bow, permit bow and winter bow (3 bucks, one each season) or ML, shotgun and permit shotgun (3 bucks, one each season) or a combination of one bow, one ML and one shotgun buck. Any combination of weapons for three bucks, just not more than one buck per season. If you don't buy any permits, you still get 3 bucks; fall bow, six-day firearm, and winter bow.

I'd like to see baiting eliminated on public land as well, but don't imagine that will happen.

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This was my proposal:

I would like to propose a reduction in the amount of buck tags issued per hunter. Currently, if a hunter hunts with all possible weapons in all seasons, they would be able to harvest six (6) bucks a year. We would propose reducing the buck tags to three (3) per year.

This would be done in an effort to make hunters more selective in the bucks they harvest. Hoping that hunters would p [no swearing please] on taking younger 1.5 to 2.5-year-old bucks in favor of a more mature deer, thus creating an older buck base age and a better survivability rate of younger bucks. This would lead to a better quality buck herd in New Jersey. By reducing the number of bucks that can be harvested, you guarantee that more bucks survive to the next year, giving them another year to grow and develop towards becoming a mature Whitetail Buck.

Hunters would be able to use their buck tags in any combination of seasons listed below, but would not be able to exceed the three (3) buck tags per year. Hunters would have to choose when to utilize their tag. Putting more thought into the process should produce a hunter that is more aware of the age and maturity of the buck he is harvesting, as compared to a hunter that harvests any buck because it has a “horn”. This should lead to a better quality buck herd and a better quality deer hunting experience for New Jersey hunters.

A buck tag could be used in any combinations of seasons, but no more than one (1) per season and no more than three (3) per year.

Winter Bow: A hunter may harvest one (1) buck.
Fall Bow: A hunter may harvest one (1) buck, after EAB requirement is met in EAB Zones.
Permit Bow: A hunter may harvest one (1) buck, after EAB requirement is met in EAB Zones.
6-Day Firearm: A hunter may harvest one (1) buck. *
Permit Shotgun: A hunter may harvest one (1) buck, after EAB requirement is met in EAB Zones. *
Muzzleloader: A hunter may harvest one (1) buck, after EAB requirement is met in EAB Zones. *

* The 6-Day firearm season would be reduced to one (1) buck; the second buck tag would become “active” during the Permit shotgun, or Muzzleloader, season. Similar to what happens now if a hunter does not harvest two (2) bucks during the 6-day firearm season. The difference would be the hunter would have to decide if he wanted to take his second buck with a shotgun or a muzzleloader. This could lead to more shotgun and muzzleloader permits being sold and more doe being harvested, as hunters would need the permits in order to harvest their second buck.

** The Youth Hunts (Archery & Firearm) would be administered separate from this, and juvenile hunters utilizing a Juvenile Hunting license, would be allowed to harvest one (1) buck during each of the Youth Hunts. These buck(s) would not count against the Youth Hunter’s three (3) buck tags.

Also, I would request that the Youth Day Firearm Deer Hunt be moved to the Saturday before the statewide opening of the 6-Day Firearm Season, similar to the proposed Youth Archery Hunt being held the Saturday before the Statewide Opening of Fall Bow season.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts