New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son turned 10 in January, and I have him signed up for a class at the end of April. I heard the classes have changed a bit from when I took the class of just shooting at 3 clay birds and leaving. I understand they have a more involved field class focused of safely.

So my question would be what should I look for in the class in order to best prepare him for the test.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Just took mine today. We got a talk on treestand safety, a lesson on following a deer's blood trail, how to go over a fence, when to shoot and not to shoot when hunting with friends, then shot our 3 birds, took the written test, and that was it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
They have a field session and basically cover the subjects pertaining to the questions on the test. Make sure you have the workbook completed and with you or they will turn you away. They still make you shoot three clay pigeons, however they have a general hunter safey talk outside covering treestand safety, species identification, weapon carry positions and The Three Golden Rules of firearm safety.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Hey brmzr no mention of my talk first thing rules of safety and so on??????????????????[hihi]

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I am also taking the muzzy test. Is the rifle/muzzy fieldwalk/test much different than the shotgun test? Or is it one fieldwalk and you take both tests at the end?
As far as Ican remember when my boy took his muzzy test a few years ago, the field session was the same until it came time to shoot, then they split up.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Know how to handle the weapon. The next person that tells me they have never fired a shotgun, or shouldered one, and doesn't have a clue as how to do either one will fail.

·
Registered
597 Posts
If you are going mine as well take all 3 , bow,muzzy,shotgun, just have to do the extra work book questions and shoot . I wish i did all 3 the first time around, because your there plenty long enough to DO IT ALL .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.