New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my morning was ruined by two of the most inconciderate guys I ever seen,Par for the six day corse, I went home and picked up the new Flintlock and headed up to flattbrook to burn some powder.

Man that thing is way to much fun to shoot!!

Though I really can't hit anything with it yet because well? I'm a Flinchapotomous!![rofl]

Every time the pan goes off I pull my head off the stock and as a result the heavy barrel drops and the shot goes into the dirt!![rofl][rofl][rofl]

Still it's way cool. I did resist flinching once and hit just 2" low at 50yards..

I have a wittness to!! 230grainhollowpoint was there also double checking his ML. some thing happend to his scope and was shooting high.

No worries Frank, I saw that ridge and all I saw was a black tree rat.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Glad to hear you're having fun with it!

To help with the flinching, try this. Make a wooden "flint" - a piece of clothespin works well - and practice dry firing. That way you can dry fire without using your good flints.

The Lyman front sights are usually way too tall. Once you get used to it, I wouldn't be surprised if it shoots 6" or more low.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not the hammer falling that makes me flinch, it's the flash in the pan that does it. My thought was to use up the agate that came with the gun and just "flash" some primer powder till I get over it.

Think that'll work?

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yup!! Patched round lead balls! just need to get over the flinching thing. But I can still hit "Paper" just not right at my aim point!!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
It takes time. Concentrate on the sight picture and keep your head on the stock till the smoke clears. It's easy once you get used to it. It's just like following through when your leading a bird. It ain't over till it's over!

·
Registered
962 Posts
[up][up]I have 3 full stock and a tc hawkin half stock flinters.All shoot round balls,and a couple percussions.Looking for a 36 or 32 cal.for tree rats.We have a primitive club here so it's always fun shooting them.We have a primitive deer hunt comming up on the 17th.We do the dress up thing,buckskins etc.Griz

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
No worries Frank, I saw that ridge and all I saw was a black tree rat.
I am going there with my back up muzzy (Black Diamond) tomorrow PM.

That would have been something if you shot a nice buck there yesterday after that guy shooting a buck from my tree in Il. Twice in one season.

yup!! Patched round lead balls! just need to get over the flinching thing. But I can still hit "Paper" just not right at my aim point!!
Those open sights take a fair amount of practice and good vision to get a consistant "sight picture". They have aftermarket peep sights that do no detract from the guns vintage appearence. Usually these are mounted on the tang. I have been meaning to get one for my Hawken for some time.

With regard to patched round balls they are not all the same. Usually the diameter is .490" I have some from Hornady that are .495". They shoot much better.

Though I really can't hit anything with it yet because well? I'm a Flinchapotomous!!
With a flintlock you always know if you flinched because of the lag in ignition. You just have to concentrate all the more. There isn't actually signifigant recoil, but the flash from the pan is something to overcome. I don't have a ton of experience with flintlocks, but I would have to say it just takes concentration.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Would a pair of sunglass type shooting glasses help diminish the flash? For myself, using earplugs and ear muffs cuts down on the sound enough to hardly notice the report of the big boomer magnum loads for revolvers...hardly hear the other people shooting indoors(can't hear people talking very well though, so my usual reply is [hihi]).

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Ghostbear. Enjoy it, before you know it, it will be like shooting any other rifle only more enjoyable. You won't notice the flash even when it's dark. Concentrate on the target. If the lock is tuned and you have a sharp flint, it's for all intent and purposes instantanous.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.