New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i just got in from tonights bow hunt. I did not see anything all night and then right before dark i had a nice buck come down the ridge that i was hunting. He stayed at about 3o yrds and was in some thick stuff behind my tree. Then he stepped into an opening at 30 yrds and i released. I dont believe that i hit him....he ran about 10 yrds and the snorted, then ran into the woods and i heard him snort a few more times. I waited till after dark and then got down to retrieve my arrow. I could not find it however i did not see any blood in the area. In my head i am wondering if i hit the deer even though i believe i missed. I am going to go back tommorow morning and look for my arrow/blood.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Well Good Luck I hope you either find him or find out you missed completly....

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
right before dark i had a nice buck come down the ridge that i was hunting. He stayed at about 3o yrds and was in some thick stuff behind my tree. Then he stepped into an opening at 30 yrds and i released.
Well if you hit him I hope you find him or I hope you find an unscathed arrow.

What I'm about to say please don't take it as a put down but as constructive criticism. Taking a 30 yard shot into thick stuff that close to dark is a pretty unresponsible shot,too much stuff can happen to your arrow at that distance,like it could hit a small branch that isn't visible and you can end up wounding the deer. We as hunters owe our game the utmost respect by being sure of a kill shot and not a pot shot.I try to never shoot over 20-25 yards and in,not even in broad daylight,like I said,too much can happen to your arrow..this is just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dbuck, I know it was an ethical shot, one that i felt confident in. I could clearly see my target, pins and beyond. The buck stepped into an opening. If i clearly missed it is because I made a bad shot not because i took a bad shot. That is something that i can live with. I understand where you are coming from and do not disagree as far as pot shot and kill shot.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
I shot at nice buck once at 34 yards...longest shot I've taken on a deer. I thought the hit was pretty good, but the deer took a few jumps, stopped, and snorted a few times. Then silence. I was confused until I walked over there and found him 25 yards from the hit site. Snorting may be unusual, but it doesn't mean you missed. Check closely.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Agreed...I put a double lung on a buck and he snorted 3 times to clear the blood from his nostrils and then dropped dead 20 yards from where I shot him.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went out this morning to look for some sign and found the arrow clean and no blood whatsoever......what do you think are the chances this guy comes around again??? I dont think he was that spooked but he did snort a couple of times.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
He will still be around. They usually don't even know what the heck happened in the first place.

Keep after him!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts